Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Most I have Seen On the Board
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most I have Seen On the Board
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I haven't seen the film(s) under discussion, but I'm usually disappointed with movies these days. I prefer good writing, directing, and acting to "CGI" or whatever. And where have all the great character actors gone?!
The old school (still around, by the way) actors came from theatre and radio. Those, especially from the theatre, had to really act and know, i.e. memorize their lines, unlike those from the TV generation. A great example of this is Hitchcock's "Rope". That was filmed unedited, pausing only to change reels!
Anyway, perhaps I'll check out this flick later.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
patrask: Yes, very disturbing. If THAT is what is making this movie special, contrasting evil and good, BAH! I'll dig out a DVD of the life of Anne Frank for contrasts.

That's probably why I do not like most Black Comedy movies, such as Pulp Fiction. Tho I loved Barton Fink, and thought Fargo was exceptional. Dark City is nearing cult status, a great piece of frightening cinema. And I lean with great favor to flicks like O' Brother Where Art Thou. ( O', it's those Cohen Brothers.)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
That is why different audiences go to different movies and different movies are made for different audiences...

Exactly!

quote:
NARNIA is about TRUTH.

Narnia was my favourite film from 2005.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
...and thought Fargo was exceptional. And I lean with great favor to flicks like O' Brother Where Art Thou.

Fargo was the best picture of its year - brilliant!

Oh, Brother is one of my favourites - it's got rewatchability!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what about me?! oh, ive been absent for a bit. n/m LoL

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did see An Inconvenient Truth and thought that it was well done. Alarming I must admit, but I feel that we are in the midst of a cyclical spasm of meterological occurances as opposed to out and out global warming caused directly by mankind. What about all of the flatuating cows in the world today?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, by the way, Ray really enjoyed Oh Brother, Where Art Thou. This response was in regard to a question I had posed to him as a member of the Academy of Arts (Oscars) and his picks for that year.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trust me on this one...

If you haven't seen the 2006 film 'Crash,' you probably should.

Global warming? Check this one:

The Global Warming Book

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wondered how many submitted but I hadn't checked it lately. Thanks Robert, it looks very interesting.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ooh, I have a flash piece (a one sentence story, actually,) for submission. I think GW is the perfect subject matter for flash fiction. There! I found something nice to say about it.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Oh Brother" was pretty good. Loosely based on "The Odyssey". Music was really good, acting so-so.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
...cyclical spasm of meterological occurances...

Five times fast, please.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
...just me and biplane and thirty-four dimly lit spectators, or small crowd if you will. Where's the wreck, why am I hyperventilating and no one is noticing me when I scream?...

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Greg. Now that my daughter's boy friend has rid our computer of the evil virus(es) and it now works normally, I will try to participate more on the board.

Instant message me, old buddy!