Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Most I have Seen On the Board
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most I have Seen On the Board
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I did that last week, it's just not the same.Frowner

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocket:
Saw Pan's Labyrinth with a friend.

I was going to mention that, then I forgot.

Oh, well: see Pan's Labyrinth! Wonderful!

By the way, also see An Inconvenient Truth. There, now I've done my good green deed for the day.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
Next time eat the whole bag and watch half the movie.

Do you know, I thought the 'fairy tale' half was the better part, and was not dwelt upon near enough. Mind, the whole film was good, I'm just not big on violence.

Sex and nudity - that's another story.

Sorry.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
18 people here now, if the count is right!?!

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug, I agree, they should have dwelt a little more on the fantasy. A little less of the violence would have done me good. Like the overuse of that hammer, and sewing your own cheek made me squirm in my seat. What was up with that one baby eating creature with its eyes in his hand, scary. I did like it though.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pan's Labyrinth was one of the most gosh awful movies I 've seen in a long while.

Yes, some of the violence was unncessary, like the fellow getting his face bashed in repeatedly with a broken bottle. Okay, I already had gotten the idea: the guy doing the bashing was a BAD dude. But, in retrospect, the film made absolutely no sense. I found it absolutely goofy. A fantasy? Then I don't like fantasies because this one is just plain off target. To me, a fantasy has to have a great nugget, at least, of truth. Where was it in this movie? I found this feature likened to one of those old vinyl recordings where the needle lost its way as the arm ripped across all the grooves and crashed right into the center spindle. Yeek! and Screech!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
18 people here now, if the count is right!?!

BING, BANG--I saw the whole gang.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bobby Darin?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That Pan's Labyrinth movie IS pretty nasty. I didn't make any heads or tails of the plot either. What is that ending all about. Heaven? A make believe heaven? But I agree with rocket. That fellow with the eyes in the palm of his hands was genuinely scary. That entire scene was scary. If the movie had more of that thruout it might hold up as being a terribly frightening movie. Alas, the whole thing was a disappointment, at least to me.

Dough Spaulding, okay, let's hear it. What exactly do you find so wonderful about this movie?

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
B-II,

You got it, man. There's a interesting story behind the song. It was written by Murray The K, his mother, and Bobby Darin. Read about it here - http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1820

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The thing I recall about Murray the K is that he always wore a hat.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
That Pan's Labyrinth movie IS pretty nasty. I didn't make any heads or tails of the plot either.

It's a fairy tale.

quote:
Dough Spaulding, okay, let's hear it. What exactly do you find so wonderful about this movie?

Where to begin? Stunningly beautiful and movingly honest, clearly one of best films of the year. This richly-imagined epic is one of the best-reviewed films of the year. Visually it's glorious, poetic and damp - you can almost smell the earth on the faun.

It's one of the most magical film I've seen in a long, long time. A fairytale for grown-ups. A movie that doesn't pull a single punch and leaves you believing in the power of movies again.

More than one critic has called it the Best Picture of the Year. "Brilliant from first frame to last, Pan’s Labyrinth, is a fancifully aesthetic, densely rich fairy tale for adults. It’s easily the most visionary, haunting, and expressive film of the year."

A film of breathtaking visual splendor, Pan’s Labyrinth should be experienced as viscerally as possible — on a big screen, in the dark. Watching this film reaffirms our sense in the possibilities of film as a medium, the wonder of a darkly beautiful fantasy that’s vividly realized.

And thus begins the magic.

I guess either you like it or you don't.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Everybody knows TREMORS is the greatest film of all time.

36 onboard right now.

================================================

"I don't know anything."

posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding: That is why different audiences go to different movies and different movies are made for different audiences, and some movies are made for all types of audiences. Pan's Labyrinth was a nonsense, mispent $ movie. A metallic tinkerbell without the pixie dust does not make a fantasy. An excellent 'fantasy' storyline must have TRUTH. Again, just where did you find truth in the scope of its story in this picture? Lord of the Rings is an enduring writing because it is about TRUTH. NARNIA is about TRUTH.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter had recommended Pan's Labyrinth, so I saw it, and I was struck by the contrast between the mind of a child, who is escaping the too harsh reality of her present situation, and the meaness of Man toward a fellow being. When I left the theatre I did not feel good, but I knew I had seen something special. I would not see it again, I cannot, at my age, watch violent acts even for the purpose of teaching that they are wrong. However, the lasting memeory of the film is changed over a few weeks and I find that I remember it for a great experiemnt in film making. Something like the early silent films of F. W Murnau.
Don't take the kids, but if you are up for a feeling of extreme contrast good, evil, whatever, go see it.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post