Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    9 yr. old girl

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9 yr. old girl
 Login/Join

posted
My father handed me the book "Something Wicked This Way Comes" when I was 9 yrs. old. It changed my life. I read every book he wrote and went on to become a prolific reader and got my degree in Journalism from the University of Missouri. I've been told I'm an excellent writer and I give credit to Bradbury because I read one of the best writers there is when I was at the age of being influenced. I was deeply saddened to hear of his passing. I looked him up online in relation to the Mars Curiosity landing only to see he had recently left us. I mourn him like a father.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChainofRocks:
...I read one of the best writers there is when I was at the age of being influenced.

The best. Glad you kept writing.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I read Chain's post, I was touched by the image of a young child being read to by a loving parent. Though now both teens, we still read aloud to our boys. To this day I still enjoy entering our village library, walking past the children's section, and witnessing a parent sitting on the floor with opened book on lap and wide-eyed child captured by the moments! (Sadly, Peter and Wendy of Veldtown may now be the culture's dominant tendency.)

Though I suppose I may never hear, I always hoped, while offering RB tales over the years, this spark of which C of R writes would rest in the kindling of some youthful heart, waiting for just the right breeze to eventually come along.

Ironically, I had two professor in college during my initial years of studies (originally not in literature or education) who did the same for me. I was able to speak with both of them in recent years to inform them of their influences on my life's direction. Then, to have been honored by Mr. Bradbury's personal touch! All things have a reason...

(I spoke of Mr. B.'s contacts with us via our studies and both were pleased immensely!)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post