Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    In Honor Of Ray!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In Honor Of Ray!
 Login/Join

posted
I don't know how I come up with these ideas, I really don't but I was inspired on this one. I work in a frantically busy large used bookstore. We also sell new books, cds, dvds, vhs, record albums, cassettes, books on cd & tape, and magazines along with novelty items. It is super dynamic and to give you an idea of just how so, we had a sale last month and on the second day of our sale, our store did $13,000.00! Now I have moved to a new store that is about 9 miles away verses a few blocks. Don't like the driving part but it is going to be a great store. It's much bigger with vaulted ceilings and very good people to work for and with. It's Half Price Books if you haven't guessed. We are starting from scratch with this new store and it is very labor intensive so far and I am on o.t., but I am so excited that it hardly seems like work. I also got a raise and a new position as shift leader, yay! Okay, so the other night I'm sitting here and I'm thinking, I wonder if anyone has brought in a book, any book, yet into the new store. Next week we start getting shipments of books in and Oct.8th. we open for people to sell their stuff and have a look around at the progress. I'm thinking, it really needs to be a great book to bring the new store good luck and mojo so to speak. So what else could I choose, I grabbed a copy of Fahrenheit 451 and took it with me in the darkness of early morning as I careened off to work. I brought it in with me and asked everyone and sure enough, this is the first book brought into the new store. I immediately decided to make a time capsule of it. (by the way, the paperback copy I brought was from 1968 and had a picture on the cover from the movie with Montag, Clarisse, and his wife shown.) I inscribed these words, "10/01/07, Hello good reader from the future. I hope you read this book and enjoy it as much as I did, it's one of my alltime favs. This was the first book brought into this bookstore, Half Price Books, love Gorg. (after all, it may be a shoestore by the time someone finds where I've hidden it) Then I took it to a ladder that was already leaning against the wall near the back door, climbed the ladder and lifted the ceiling tile(its a dropped ceiling in the back) and carefully placed my "time capsule" in there. No one was the wiser that I had hidden it there! It made me giddy to think that maybe someone will find it there some day and read it and love it like I do!~

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Half Priced Books, been to all of them in the Dallas, Austin areas. Great post, so apropos that it be the book about books.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great! That will make magic for someone! We have a wonderful HUGE HALF PRICED BOOKS in Dallas (maybe more than one) It could literally be an all day outing. Leda on Rocketman!

Posts: 126 | Location: Texas | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I meant to say "Lead" on... see how excited I was!

Posts: 126 | Location: Texas | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks you guys! patrask, When I picked F-451, it was because I love the book, but I didn't realize how apt it was for the book on books aspect, nice! I really believe it will be a lucky store, I think its going to be a monster! I mean that in a great way! randomyork, I so love working there and it is so amazing to be constantly surrounded by a dynamically shifting stock of books, and more books! I am home! Been with them a year and a half now and its a great company to work for.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rocket, your description of hiding the book sounds like what people do in Fahrenheit 451!

When the book-burners finally take over and come for your store, that cover with Oskar Werner and Julie Christie should be the one volume to survive!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That totally slipped my mind, your right! Wow! That's the most ironic thing and it went right over my head, get it, hehehe.

posted Hide Post
Which tile was that Greg?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hah! Good one, biplane! You gave me my first chuckle of the day!

Rocky, I too got an immediate mental image of Montag hiding books.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay since it's you Mike, it is above the small left tile right above the rear employee entrance to our store, but don't tell a soul! I climbed a ladder that happened to be leaning there.

posted Hide Post
Awesome website and forum...Gotta Love Ray!!!

Posts: 1 | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard the board, PV!
Whence cometh thy cognomen?

There are a few recent arrivals whom I would urge to bump up the "So, Where Y'all From?" thread and tell us something about yourselves.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was cleaning up the yard today of some overgrown tree limbs and when I finished I stacked the cords up and was thinking of books and how they come from trees. My mind was kind of wandering as I worked, it was very hot (92 degrees fahrenheit) and I was using a chainsaw so my endorphins (?) were probably kicking in too. Anyway, I started thinking how nice it's going to be to have plenty of firewood this winter. Then for some reason, I started to think of fire and F-451. I thought at first that to actually burn the book Fahrenheit 451 would be at the same time similar to what I did the other day by hiding a copy of it at my new bookstore but also lightyears away in that burning of books, any book, is a great sin. Unless....unless, it is falling apart and or damaged beyond repair. Then it could be retired in a dignified manner just like they do with our flag instead of just tossing it in the garbage with the other muck. A few words could be said ceremoniously, maybe a quote or two from the book memorized, and then each person present would get a page to lay gently into the flames as perhaps a light snow fell. What do you all think? Can you add anything that should be said or done in a different way? It could be very moving and at the same time tinglingly shocking in the parallels from the book itself. Let me know if you agree or disagree.

posted Hide Post
Neat idea!
If it's still even barely legible, it could be read aloud one last time, and each page put gently into the fire as one began the next page.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that's really good B-Two, anyone else got any ideas reagarding this?