Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    In Honor Of Ray!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In Honor Of Ray!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Well, the obvious thing would be to memorise the whole book, and then burn it to ashes. (Then burn the ashes...)

Or get hold of one of those limited editions with the asbestos cover and see if it survives the inferno, rising phoenix-like from the ashes.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PHIL:

Asbestos edition? That would be one heck of an expensive fire!!

Excellent edition would go for $30,000.00 nowadays!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, Nard! Non't knock Phil's suggestion!
He's doing asbestos he can!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II's really on fire today!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Despite Braling II's pun, I, for some reason or another, got to thinking about what Rocket and you all were talking about books and the proper, respectful means of allowing them "to go back to nature" so to speak. And, for some reason it brought to me memories of an incident which occured in my hometown of Ottumwa, Iowa.

The article doesn't mention that the books were stolen from libraries all over the country from their Rare Book Sections.

The article was written by a friend whom I known since we were 13 years old and attended a one-room school house together.

http://www.ottumwacourier.com/cnhi/ottumwadailycourier/...yword=secondarystory

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today at work some workmen were running wire two tiles over from where I had the book hidden. I noticed them working in the proximity and went back to what I was doing but it bugged me and I felt compelled to tell them that if they saw a book up there to please leave it alone as it was supposed to be there. They agreed and then one of the workmen asked me if this was supposed to be here and tossed me a large wire jack similar to a phone jack but way bigger. I said thanks and walked off so I assume the book is still snugly hidded. I was thinking about the "book retiring" ceremony and maybe it can be done in an Indian burial method up on a little palate of wood and chant and dance while beating drums under an eclipsed moon? Just a thought, believe me, if I ever did undertake something like this, it would be done with the utmost solemnity and reverence.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still like my idea. And, I thought, if the book to be ceremonially cremated was not legible, one could read from a legible copy as corresponding pages of the 'dead' volume were laid upon the flames.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I guess your right. I'm straying from the original idea. Will let you know if I ever see a likely candidate.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if Mr. Bradbury would be up to an evening of such high energy acrobatics and carnival antics, but Circus de Soleil will be in California in Oct. and Nov. (LA, SJ, SF). Dates and locations are within the web info.

Fire eaters, Illustrated Men, Sword swallowers, Acrobats, Trapeze Flyers, Magic from the Far East, Beautiful Women in Magnificent costumes....right off from RB pages!

Maybe jtk, Nard, DS, or maybe Alexandra (if you happen by) could share a video of this with Mr. B. The costumes alone conjure up familiar images out of Halloween Tree!

I always think of Mr. B's characters when I see these amazing performers. We hope to catch a live show when this troupe returns to its "home tent" in (Old) Montreal, Que, this winter. If you have never seen their performances, take a look at the link below. Go to the item mentioned below the address:

http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/CirqueDuSoleil/en/showsti...e_page/en/arenabanco
Find:
Discover Cirque du Soleil
Click:
"Watch a clip"

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Cirque du Soleil, and have seen three different shows which have come to the UK (and several more on DVD). I'd never thought of them in relation to RB, but I suppose there is a similarity of some of the imagery, the carnivalesque of some of the Cirque narratives, and the dream-like logic of some of their stories as well. Maybe they should do a show based on Something Wicked This Way Comes...

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Phil, Now were talking!!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post