Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    The Time-Capsule
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Time-Capsule
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
And slightly more on topic... Miss Dandelion, you just crack me up! Your submission to the time capsule--ah, you've got it bad. (Though I know what it's like to find certain members of the acting profession very appealing indeed. The two leads of the current film "Ella Enchanted," [based on the book that was recently discussed over on ABE], are both real charmers. I'm familiar with Anne Hathaway's previous work--a lovely girl.). But I hope you only intended to put the PHOTOGRAPH of your favourite actor in the time capsule, and not the person himself!

Wait, I still seem to be going off-topic... I still haven't decided what to put in a time capsule. Perhaps simply little everyday items that we take for granted? We know how quickly things change, and the ordinary details of everyday life in the past are forgotten. I daresay plenty of us still remember things like milk-bottle caps, roller skate keys, and those double-sided ice cards you used to put in the window. But how long until no one recalls those items at all?

So, today's equivalents... How about a pair of rabbit ears? Analog television broadcasts will very soon be a thing of the past. As mentioned earlier, CDs and DVDs will likely be replaced by some other format someday, so throw a few of those in there also, containing music and movies that are popular now.... And, and...okay, I've run out of ideas... But just things from around the house, to give an idea of a typical life...

Posts: 85 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Morality is a matter of cultural context. Such a thing as homosexuality is only wrong because a piece of paper says it is. It was at one point in time just as evil to tattoo or speak of evolution.

In fact in two states in the union tattooing is still ilegal.

A hundred years from now, if something does become accepted, people will look back and wonder why it was ever forbidden, Why? Cultural context has changed.

Oh and as far as the other things you mentioned, it all falls under maleprohibeta, or however that word is spelled.

From personal experience, what's wrong depends on somebodies background. In South America, it is not wrong to drive a dump truck downtown and pick up any kid, give him a gun and call him a soldier ate age thirteen. But if you throw away a glass bottle, damn you did something bad, glass is expensive.

And um, what the hell are skate keys, and double sided ice cards?

Damn, you people must be old.

Posts: 102 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey there, Mr Faler!

Okay, I'm absolutely sure that you and Nard are not going to see eye-to-eye on that topic... This isn't really the board for such a debate, so I'm hoping you both can agree to disagree.

As for being old--well, I'm just nostalgic, so perhaps I know of a few items that were before my time. A skate key is what a person would use to clamp a pair of skates onto a pair of everyday shoes. Ice cards had four numbers on them--you set them in the window with the appropriate number at the top facing outside, so the ice man would know how large a chunk of ice to leave that day.

(Oh, you're the fellow from Pittsburgh? Haven't been there in ages, though I did enjoy the science center quite a bit. It's in a depressing area, but I got a kick out of the huge model train set-up...)

Posts: 85 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wow, I got a reply before I even left.

Yes, I don't think I'll agree with Nard. But, I think in time I will get my way and homosexuals will marry freely.

For the record, I'm not gay, but I don't believe in tyranny by majority, or the state turning to religion for laws. The law should be impartial, and give people rights equally.

But um, that has nothing to do with the topic.

Posts: 102 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, octobercountry, you gave away my little secret. I was going to reveal it on April 1 but was just having too much fun. That is one of my two favorite actors in this world, NOT my boyfriend! Yes, it was just the picture I wanted to include, not stuff him in (have mercy!) and perhaps include a little bio or writeup of main credits on the back and just maybe a 3-hour DVD of his finest moments onscreen, as a legacy to the future world.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoot, Miss Dandelion, I'm so sorry--I didn't know it was a secret! Very, very sorry about that--my most sincere apologies...

I confess to having my own "secret passions" in the acting field. (Okay, that sounds so corny--but that was an old song from the 1920's, "He's My Secret Passion." [Or "She's..", depending on whom was singing the song.] Actually, it's kind of a creepy song by today's standards, it gives off a stalker sort of vibe.)... However, I never tell people who exactly, due to sheer embarrassment! But I guess I could put some of their photographs in a time capsule as well...

posted Hide Post
faler:

Morality is a cultural issue?

See this is the reasons why people get so dis-illusioned later in life. The truths of Life will eventually hit you so hard that you have two distinct positions you can take: ignore them, like Larry Flynt said he had to do, or accept them and deal with things far greater than your own opinions....

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, octobercountry, seal up a few photos of your favorites in the house. Might even invest in some protective plastic pages to put them in first. If you want to include the picture I posted, it can be ordered, along with a wide selection of others, here: http://www.moviemarket.com/

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay...back to the '''time capsule'''...

I'll take Ray's own demeanor in selecting the stuffs of a '''time capsule'''. I'd go thru the house or garage and fill as many random items as possibly would fit. Anything 100 yrs. ago would be a object of interest. Anything 100 yrs. from now should be no different to a new generation...and moments of nostalgia to an older one...

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Copies of Ray's short story and play "To the Chicago Abyss" would certainly be appropriate.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
faler:

Morality is a cultural issue?

See this is the reasons why people get so dis-illusioned later in life. The truths of Life will eventually hit you so hard that you have two distinct positions you can take: ignore them, like Larry Flynt said he had to do, or accept them and deal with things far greater than your own opinions....

In the Middle East, a rape victim can be killed to protect the family's honor.

Right and wrong is a matter of cultural reference. Religion is just as subject to this.

According to Leviticus an individual cannot reach heaven if they are tattooed. Through out the early 20th century psychologists had only negative things to say about collectors. When culture changed so did religious views. My roommate is a tattoo artist, crosses help pay her half of the rent.

posted Hide Post
Faler;

Are you putting me on...or what?

Right or wrong is universal, not cultural.

Right and wrong are the opposing items on the measuring scale of truth. I can stay in my house and dictate what I think is right or wrong...but that's kidding myself. There is a right and wrong and moral law that ultimately invades my strength and my character. and I have no power over them except to acknowledge they exist..... That comes, for some, early in life...for some that wisdom comes later...and others...(never at all?)

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 04-14-2004).]

posted Hide Post
I'd like you to show me universal rights, Nard.
Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Translator:

You are born with it.

It is inherently braided into everyone. Even scripture says...that's why there is no excuse. Ultimately, you condemn yourself..by how you responded.
You want to argue? Argue with all the great thinkers thru all the centuries...Good luck. Bottom line is... you'll have to deal with yourself. Blinded by choice? Whose fault?

posted Hide Post
Thank goodness for homosexual unions! Thanks to these brave pioneers, I will one day be finally free from the horrible opression that will not allow me to freely and legally express my erotic and emotional love for my dog. After all, species is only a condition, right?

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post