Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Where Ray shows up . . .

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where Ray shows up . . .
 Login/Join

posted
I was just watching the movie "Almost Famous" and saw that when the Stillwater band was traveling on their tour bus, one of the band members was reading a copy of Ray Bradbury's "Illustrated Man". It was the famous red cover with the man seen from the back (the one I read back in HS). He was holding it up long and obvious enough that you could read the title and author.

Anywhere else Ray's stuff has been seen?

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a film cameo of Ray himself (as opposed to one of his books), check out director George Cukor's 1981 film, RICH AND FAMOUS, starring Jacqueline Bisset and Candice Bergen. There is a cocktail party scene where one of the guests is...you guessed it...Ray Bradbury.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard,

Posts: 2470 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There have been a couple episodes of The Simpsons based on his stories, THERE WILL COME SOFT RAINS and A SOUND OF THUNDER, but I don't recall ever hearing mention of his name or of any of his works by title.

I saw an episode of CSI that was centered on Isaac Asimov.

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the day Ray looked like Dustin Hoffman

i'm awesome

Posts: 26 | Location: earth | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's something to be said for that!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Bradbury has been mentioned by name on "The Simpsons." https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6791083901/m/7971065901

One Simpsons episode also showed a store in a shopping mall called "Something Wicker This Way Comes."

There's a Bugs Bunny cartoon where all through it Bugs chides himself for "taking directions from Ray Bradbury" and threatens what he'll do when he catches up with said party!

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is also an adapted quote in the movie, A Knight's Tale. "Uric" is jousting with his archenemy and the archenemy says, "You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting." This same quote appears at the end when "Uric" beats his archenemy. It is out of "The City," a story in Bradbury's Illustrated Man. The quote in the story is, "...the inhabitants of that craft were tested, weighed, and found wanting..."

Summer comes rushing in like the winds of a tornado...except in Michigan!

Posts: 32 | Location: Rochester College | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uh, actually, this quote has its origin in a source quite a bit earlier. Remember the writing on the wall? Check out Daniel 5:27.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In this week's Extreme Home Make Over (name!?), the young dad/husband had completely lost his sight. The home was entirely interactive and voice activiated: "The Veldt." It was high-technology at its most benevolent, in this case.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right you are. I immediately thought of Knight's Tale when I read it in the Bradbury story though. I had forgotten about the Biblical reference!

Summer comes rushing in like the winds of a tornado...except in Michigan!

Posts: 32 | Location: Rochester College | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never knew that Ray Bradbury was involved in so many things until i read this thread. That is very interesting. I acctually remember the episode of the Simpsons where it was based off his work. I just didn't know it at the time

Posts: 23 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look for a slight homage to Ray in my upcoming film, "Deadline" sometime oh, maybe next spring? (just a guess)

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this--I haven't, as I don't watch the show--but my uncle has been watching The West Wing on DVD and one episode featured a college kid quoting Ray: "If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn." The situation was the banning of Fahrenheit 451 and several other books at his college.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post