Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    October Dreams: A Harvest of Horror

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

October Dreams: A Harvest of Horror
 Login/Join

posted
I got into writing because of Ray Bradbury. I published my first short story fifteen years ago because of Ray. When I was feeling particularly dull in the head, I would take out F-451 and read it, and it seemed like my mind would open up again to possibilities.

I sent my short story to Gordon Lizner at Space and Time, and he wrote me back a letter explaining they had wanted my story, but that they had already filled the contracts for the next publication date, so he suggested Dave Kubicek and Jeff Mason at Kubicek and Associates. They were putting together a horror anthology, and were looking for fiction in the vein of Ray Bradbury and Stephen King. I sent my story to them immediately, and within ten days received a letter and contract in the mail. At that point in my life, it was the happiest moment of my life. I called several friends and family. And within a week was inspired to write a letter to Ray and thank him for being a role model and inspiration. He wrote back, and for a time we corresponded. I even finally got to meet him at a local lecture and book signing.

Even though I'm working steadily as a technical writer for a corporation - about as far away from fiction writing as any writer can be without becoming a plumber (an honorable trade that pays well) - I still write fiction in my spare time. When I publish my next fiction story, I will raise a glass to Ray.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 29 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was going to ask if you write for a living after reading your other post. I hope you will stick around, this is a great board.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Duskmurmur-

Yes, I do still write fiction. It's kind of a game of torture now, me working on short stories, then letting them sit way too long, then coming back to them feeling guilty and a little sick, working some more, getting depressed, then leaving again and return and so on. I keep at it, and very soon I hope to have enough guts to start shipping the manuscripts out again.

Oh, and I also work full-time as a writer for a coporation. It's not the same thing, but it pays most of the bills. And this is a great board.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 29 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rodden II,

Somewhere in drawers, the writing is cheddar to mice--but once, soon, I'll be free to reanimate the drawer pieces, write anew, and believe that once was, happened for a reason. The voice will be hope, the future, profound--and maybe, just maybe--there'll be an acceptance letter.

You're lucky. At least your income comes from writing.

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post