Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Ray As A Prophet
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray As A Prophet
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Ray WAS a prophet for his time.

Even though people deny it, I think he was looking ahead into the future to see what he thought it would look like...

AND IT'S NOT LOOKIN' GOOD!! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!

Posts: 15 | Location: milwaukee, WI, USA | Registered: 04 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scaryneighbor:
WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!

Of COURSE we're all going to die! No one lives forever; death and taxes, the two unavoidable things in life.

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now Korby, you know very well that Ray is going to live forever. Just ask Mr. Electrico!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the record, in the '50s, Ray wrote some stories, most notably in "The Martian Chronicles" and "Fahrenheit 451," suggesting the world would end in nuclear war. Some twenty years later he said he no longer believed that was the case, and hasn't believed in the end of the world since.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Imskipper,

OK, maybe Ray's gonna live forever, but for the rest of us...... I don't know that I'd want to live forever; my life's not THAT great!

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the late forties and fifties we, as children, were constantly bombared with scarry warnings that a nuclear war was immanent and that we had to practice "the drill" - hear the wailing siren, drop and cover, get under something like your desk. The facts are that if a nuclear bomb had been set off, none of that would have much mattered. Look at the result of the Chernoble accident. That environment of fear gave birth to many of Ray's stories from the time.

Today we are in a similar situation. The government is constantly scaring us with warnings of terrorist attacks and the possibility of great losses due to nucelar bombs or biological weapons being smuggled into areas of high population and set off by those who would send us to the next life and claim their seven virgins for the task.

Since fate has given me the life I have led and survival of the cold war, I would remind the present generation not to worry too much about things that are out of your control. Live each day as if it were your last. The summation of such a life has a very sweet rememberance like a fine wine grown complex and very flavorful with age.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think those are wise closing comments, but remember that in "Something This Way Comes" you could not run from Mr. Dark. You had to confront his evil with your goodness. Pretending evil will go away or that it doesn't exist is a historically risky paradigm.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does this sound strangely familiar?

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/a...0211101walmart1.html

(Maybe this guy should have had some French chocolate ice cream when he was done swinging!)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post