Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Special Songs

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Special Songs
 Login/Join

posted
Sure, we all think of "Tomorrow's Child/The Shape of Things" when we hear "They Can't Take That Away From Me," we all think of "Mars is Heaven" when "Beautiful Ohio" is played, we all start stampeding at the sound of the Irish National Anthem...but what songs not specifically mentioned in Bradbury stories remind you of his work, or seem to perfectly fit a certain story? My first choice is a bit of an odd one: "Catch the Wind," a 1965 folk song written and performed by Donovan (Donovan Leitch), is a *perfect* theme for "The April Witch/The Wandering Witch." Read the story, then picture either the story or the novel as a movie, with the end of this section showing Tom, Ann, and Cecy going their separate ways as this song plays. Of course, it would have to be performed by a woman with the right sort of voice for Cecy, but the words and the haunting melody fit the mood exactly!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Eye in the Sky by Alan Parsons Project is an appropriate tune for Fahrenheit 451. Its lyrics "I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools I can read your mind" reminds me of the totalitarian manyspeak of the parlors with the wall to wall screens, and the homogenized, mass media, pulp poured into the populace.

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I'd like to hear is music set to:

Death and the Maiden

Sailor, Home From the Sea

The Tombling Day

Bernard Hermann was good at rousing scores.

Ray had music composed for his play, ""Leviathan '99"". He wanted to have it sound like music... that no one ever heard before. That was back in about 1972, and it sounded pretty enthralling.

Also, who did the music to the new production of Sound of Thunder? Anyone know?

Whose got suggestions for stories that would be well suited be certain types of music? There's a Danish group called """Royal Hunt""" that created music for an album around Ray's, The Martian Chronicles. Anyone out there hear it?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A song that reminds me of the entire struggle Guy Montag went through in Fahrenheit 451 is called "Drive" by a band named Incubus. See for yourself:

"Sometimes I feel the fear of uncertainty stinging clear. And I cant help but ask myself how much I'll let the fear take the wheel and steer. It's driven me before and it seems to have a vague, haunting mass appeal. But lately I am beginning to find that I should be the one behind the wheel. Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there, with open arms and open eyes. So if I decide to waiver my chance to be one of the hive, will I choose water over wine, and hold my own and drive? It's driven me before and it seems to be the way that everyone else gets around. But lately I'm beginning to find that when I drive myself my light gets found. So whatever tomorrow brings I'll be there with open arms and open eyes, yeah. Would you kill the queen to crush the hive? Would you choose water over wine? Hold the wheel and drive."

That is so great, and it just screams Fahrenheit!

Posts: 2 | Location: Oak Hills, California, USA | Registered: 12 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post