Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Thrilled to meet Ray at his public appearance
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thrilled to meet Ray at his public appearance
 Login/Join

<Alejandro4ScienceFiction>
posted
Greetings;
I've read so many books from Ray Bradbury in the past and I have finally had the honor of meeting him at my local library when he was its guest speaker. His memories were so inspirational that I was led to believe how much of a realistic person he is and that I can be as bright as he is by achieving the goals that he did.

Alejandro

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am truly envious but happy for you at the same time. Please let us know how you felt when you met Mr. Bradbury. I hope to see him next year if possible. I will align my trip to Karlifornia with a Bradbury showing if possible.
I pray I can meet him...

believer in Douglas

Posts: 58 | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It must be tough for Mr. Bradbury, having people clamoring to meet him whenever he goes out.

Nothing is ever really free, and that's the price of fame, I guess. I would love to meet him someday too, but living on the east coast, there's not much of a chance I'll get out his way.

Besides, I can't imagine there's much I would have to offer that would interest him; I'm sure he has meet some truly amazing folks.

BTW: I heard they are re-doing the inside of 'Spaceship Earth' at Epcot. I hope they simply technically improve what Ray designed for them. If they replace it with something else, I will be bummed. It is the favorite ride of my entire family!

Posts: 6 | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ChuckO, some of us, a while ago, started a list of the people Ray has met over the years. And not only met, but knew personally, and the list is quite long.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another thought ChuckO, and Ray has agreed with this idea, and the the idea is that he thrives from the adulation and the energy of others, and that is what is keeping him young, vital and creative. Unless something has changed dramtically and recently, he really enjoys meeting his fans and autographing what they might have brought to him.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Michael, good to see you still active on here. Hope all has been well for you!

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mog the Dog here.

My favorite human companion has attended his lectures and book signings in the San Francisco Bay Area on numerous occasions over the years and can attest to biplane1's comments about Bradbury thriving at such events. Check out the image of this shirt that he signed for her on two separate occasions.

Yes, she was wearing the shirt when he signed it. That's why he wrote "mad love" before his signature.

She's still looking for an opportunity to get the shirt signed one more time...

MTD

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, come on out to LA! Ray has been known to pick up a sharpie from time to time.

That's one of my favourite "Far Side" cartoons, by the way.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We might just do that - Los Angeles is just a few hours' drive from our neck-o-the-woods. I understand there will be a public birthday celebration for Ray on the 23rd of August. My favorite human companion took her first breath of life in the last minute of Ray's 43rd birthday, so it would be a fine way for her to celebrate.

MTD

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mog the Dog here.

I just remembered that I have a link to the story about that shirt:

http://home.comcast.net/~brickpig/metaphors/madlove.htm

Do you think Ray would autograph me? I'm not an authentic autograph dog, and the only spot on me that would take legible pen ink is my rear end, but I'd love the opportunity to deem myself the Illustrated Dog.

By the way, I also have a link to my story. Can you see the influence that Ray has had on my own writing?

http://home.comccast.net/~brickpig/lop/dandelion.html

MTD

<Alejandro4ScienceFiction>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by booklover2727:
I am truly envious but happy for you at the same time. Please let us know how you felt when you met Mr. Bradbury. I hope to see him next year if possible. I will align my trip to Karlifornia with a Bradbury showing if possible.
I pray I can meet him...

Sorry for my delay. Meeting Ray Bradbury felt so inspiring. Listening to him about his works allowed me to think that we are humans like he is and that our courage can lead us to achieve the same goals that he did like writing such books w/creative narrations. I couldn't believe that I was shaking hands w/Ray when I did it and I have had a photo taken w/him. When I shook hands, I prayed that the skills would get transferred from Ray's arm to mine looking forward to carrying the torch in my hand while he is still alive. This moment was the climax of my life and this climax will last for the rest of my life. I pray that you meet him, also. He is still alive. There's also a chance that you and I will meet when you meet him.

Alejandro

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think he's going to the festival of books summer of '09. UCLA I think.

Posts: 29 | Registered: 20 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brodie C.:

Summer '09 is over, alas!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:
Originally posted by Brodie C.:

Summer '09 is over, alas!

And a summer full of Bradbury wonder it was.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post