Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Personal Contact & Inspiration

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Personal Contact & Inspiration
 Login/Join

posted
Just a quick story of a chance meeting with Ray several years ago in LA (early 80's). I was on my way to see some films at Melnitz Hall on the UCLA campus in West LA, by means of the RTD's UCLA/Wilshire bus when I saw Ray walking along Wilshire Blvd. Having been a fan of his since my early teens in the 60's, I jumped off the bus and chased after him in hopes of meeting him and just to shake his hand. As I approached him it occurred to me that he might be deep in thought about a work in progress and might not appreciate having yet another fan interrupt his thoughts... but as I had never been this close to him, I decided to go for it and walked up along side of him and introduced myself as a devoted fan. Ray gave me a great big smile, shook my hand and with a twinkle in his eye, invited me up to his office in the office building we were standing outside of (NE Corner of Beverly Drive & Wilshire in BH). Stunned by his warmth (how else would he be?), I followed him into this wonderful old building and we rode an elevator up to a floor with a wide marble-floored hallway lined with dark wood paneling. Ray bent over and fumbled with his keys at a dark oak doorway, then turned to me and asked if I could open the door as it had a tendency to get stuck. I also bent over and attempted to open the door, but then I realized that it was beyond my ability to open the lock, and as I stood back up, I suddenly realized that Ray had VANISHED into thin air!!! To my utter amazement, the door opened behind me, and there was Ray with a Chesire Cat's grin as he saw the shocked look on my face. "I just LOVE doing THAT to first time visitors!" Somewhere in that hallway was a secret panel that opened into his Office! Ray then invited me into the inner sanctum of his (at the time) Office and writing studio. It was an experience that I'll never forget and one of my most cherished memories... As a result of the enthusiastic encouragement he gave me, I completely changed the direction of my life and I now work in the Film Industry in LA and continue to write the visions that swirl in my head... GOD BLESS YOU RAY BRADBURY!!!

Posts: 2 | Location: LA, CA, USA | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the board and Happy Fourth of July. (Despite what time the posting says--there is still an hour and a half left of it here.)

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the wonderful story of your close encounter, you made my day!
Margaret

Posts: 10 | Location: Menlo Park, CA USA | Registered: 18 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
in2art&film

Changing the direction of your life!!
Yep. Had that same experience.
Amazing isn't it?
How do you explain that? It's not magic. It's beyond that. It's like God steps in and uses people like Ray to knock some sense into otherwise empty heads.

Great experience!

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's great! Welcome! What do you do in the film industry? I'm a film major, so I'm quite curious.

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post