Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    I wrote a poem here, it's based on the style and ideas of Bradbury
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I wrote a poem here, it's based on the style and ideas of Bradbury
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Well, I would make the guidelines (which, obviously, Allex didn't see, as they did mention poetry and have since been edited to mention length) a sticky, but I guess I am too much of a fool to know how to make a sticky on this board. (Anyone want to dare to try to contact the "tech people" who program HAL?)

Okay, I do too know, but I'm not doing it as I'm ornery and obnoxious. I'm a liar.

Calling people fools and liars is directly in violation of the rules against slanderous and abusive language. Obviously, in this case, if I don't let it stand, he'll just post something worse.

Just to let anyone else who wants to try know it is not open season here, and exceptions are made...to a point. Still not a democracy, but suggestions are listened to.

The first big mistake I really admit to is not looking to see that it was Allex's first post, as I'd repeated the statement about fiction and poetry enough for anyone who had been here for any time at all to see it. The second big mistake is in giving him credit for enough sense to be able to take what I meant from what I said--sense, discernment, and most of all discretion, all being qualities in which he is obviously sadly and totally lacking.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How is pointing out obvious fact slanderous? If I'd made some rude agist comment about some young person playing in sandboxes and having poorly developed social skills, that would be slanderous.

Posts: 17 | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, Allex,
I was hopping that this difficulty had gone away but sadly I see that it hasn’t.

I perceive you as being a person of courage, worth and talent and hope that you can build on that for a bright future. Although I don’t agree with anything that you have said--you do not persuade--you’ve got pluck.

In the play “Harvey” by Mary Chase, Elwood describes some advice given to him by his mother. “’In this world, Elwood, you must be oh, so smart or oh, so pleasant.’ For years I was smart [says Elwood]. I recommend pleasant.”

Grace and peace to you, friend!

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wise and kind words, Chapter 31!

For a long time a theory was out there that enough monkeys banging on enough typewriters at random would eventually reproduce all the classics. In "Timeless Stories for Today and Tomorrow," a book Ray edited, appears a story, "Inflexible Logic," by Russell Maloney, based on that theory. The other day I saw a remark that the internet has now proven that theory untrue. HA!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Spires,

Chapter 31 has the best post to this thread so I’ll just say mega-dittoes to her. One last thing, though: My metaphor of this board being a sandbox was not an ageist slam against you. Some people would see the metaphor as it was intended: a compliment. You’ve come to play here, so play. Like I said before, you’re among friends here. Let’s be friendly.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"...won't you please,
won't you please,
please, won't you be
my neighbor?"

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the compliment, pterran, but I fear I can’t lay claim to being of that noble race. I’m just one of the boys.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi. I'm new to the website, not to Mr. Bradbury's work. I didn't read all of the banter because I don't have time and it seemed to get a bit carried away. I'm very glad I didn't learn the hard way not to post my poetry (very influenced by our hero). Maybe it's already been suggested, but what about a website where we can share our work that he has influenced and create a link to it? It's just an idea.

Also, how do we get the Sci Fi Channel to show Bradbury Theatre? ... Anyone remember that show? I'm from Detroit and we used to catch it on the Canadian channel many moons ago.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello, Veronica Ramone,

And welcome. Yes, a seperate website would have been the obvious solution to Mr. Spires but, well, if you'd care to spend the time, you can see how he reacted to good Dandelion doing her job as moderator of this site. I'd be glad to read your poetry should you care to post it. Blogspot.com offers free blogging and you might set up your site over there, though Nard, of this site, has reported some difficulty in doing so. Microsoft, too, I believe, offers free blogging.

I'm afraid I can't help you on the other part of your question but, as I'm beginning to recommend more and more, just wait a while and someone will come along and let you know what you need to know. It's a pretty good site, the above exchanges notwithstanding.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the welcome and the info Pete! That sounds like a good winter project. I've been very busy lately soaking up what little warm weather we have left. Take care.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Veronica,

welcome! And I would echo what pterran has said: setting up a Blog is very easy - take a look at http://www.blogger.com/start

As for getting Ray Bradbury Theater on the Sci-Fi channel... here in Europe, RBT IS on the Sci-Fi channel! Two episodes a day usually, albeit at 4.30am. I would simply write to the North American version of the channel and ask if they could copy the Europeans.

As you probably know, RBT is also available on DVD now, at a bargain price.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Allex! It was wonderful to see your new posting over at the Christmas message to Ray thread today.