Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Opened a new door1
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opened a new door1
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Mr Dark,
I agree with your statement, but don't forget that just because someone lives in an "open society" with access to literature and the ability to read, this does not neccessarily mean that they are going to read.

I think a lot of people would probably read more given the time. Most people I know (admittedly I'm only 18) are too busy working/studying/looking after kids. I think the worst part is that the society in which i live does not really promote reading enough(outside of the education system)especially when it comes to the media. In my country (Australia) there is a lot more emphasis on sport, [pop]music and tv than reading in mainstream culture.

But then again my point of view may just be tainted by the ignorance of youth, and I don't really know what its like in other countries....is it like this in America?
btw iv seen that 'Reading Lolita in Tehran' book around, it looks good.

Posts: 9 | Location: ACT, Australia | Registered: 26 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aracadia, your comment on "sports," and for that matter tv-technology-watered down education, is exactly what Captain Beatty professed as the path to the society of F451. We can easily get 100,000+ screaming fans to a ballgame, or 200,000 to a race track, but we can't get 100 to puposefully stand up or speak out against illiteracy, hunger, terrorism, or repetitive corporate deceit. Interesting phenomenon now on all of the front pages that no one is reading!

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are simply no excuses for not reading. The argument that time is a constraint is not an argument at all - people make time for watching tv or "hanging out" all the time. If instead those people had actually been interested in books, they would find the time to read.
I agree with MR Dark. Not reading is actually worse than not having the ability to read - the first one seems to ba a purposeful stance against educating and entertaining the mind in the best way possible. The second could be due to other reasons.
Cheers, Translator

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To read or not to read that is the question?
Kinda like not breathing is more like it with out the written word, we forget our tap root of intelligence. I get in the constant
quarrel with my 14 year old daughter that she needs to read!!!!! BUT DaaaaaD I would rather see it as a movie... I constantly berate her, and say. You are looking through someone elses eyes when you watch TV or Movies. Authors paint the pictures in your minds imagination. You don't need batteries, you only need light, and an open mind. Time is not a factor turn off the 8,6, and 10 oclock news, and dive into a book. When you see it as a movie it is being served up on a platter, with someone elses garnishes, seasonings, or tastes. Read a book, and you develop a one person feast, to simmer, and savor at your own speed. You, and the Author
no matter where you are. Last night I was reading Zen and the Art of Writing in a Middle school Gym, with a sweating horde of tweenage volleyball fans sceaming like bloody murder for the home team. Ashley if you get a chance look up work by Theodore Sturgeon, Jules Verne, The Brothers Grimm, H.G. Wells, Larry Niven, Ursula K. LeGuin,
Tolkien, C.S.Lewis, Asimov, Vonnegut, Alan Dean Foster, Fritz Lieber, Harlan Ellison, or Hienlen, I have to get back to work, but chewing up books until late at night is one of the best fat free diets I know....
My best advise is to Have the Librarians have to kick you out at closing time!!
Uncle

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
arcadia--I don't think there's any "ignorance of youth" in your comments. In fact, please don't put yourself down like that. I see a great deal of wisdom in your posting. I think American society in general focuses much more on sports, pop music and reality tv than reading, and that's very sad. Of course most of the people who post on this board are big time readers, but American society as a whole does not value it as much as we do. I have many students who, as someone mentioned earlier, would rather watch the movie than read the book. Actually I have many students who would rather not read at all and think of it as an intrusion on their free time when I assign chapters, short stories or whole novels. But I still have a good number of students in each of my classes who love to read, so I try not to lose heart. I take joy in my little after-school book club. We meet twice a month, and every student in the club is a rabid reader like me. Because of students such as these I keep teaching (25 years now!)and hope for at least a handful more like that every year.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Imskipper, your obviously committed to teaching and helping students explore the wonderful world of literature which is great to hear.

Translator, I actually agree with you -

"There are simply no excuses for not reading. The argument that time is a constraint is not an argument at all ...If instead those people had actually been interested in books, they would find the time to read."

However I guess the point I was really trying to emphasize is that a lot of people just aren't interested in reading in the first place or don't make it a priority to read. That's why I think we need to encourage reading more in our societies - to develop more critical thinking skills and intellect.

On a somewhat seperate note, I love films and I think they also have an important role in society (if you exclude a whole lot of Hollywood crap) but I agree with what some of you have said about how films often put the story in your mind for you, whereas books allow you to build the story yourself i think that's why its so annoying when we see a film that's based on a book and it doesn't meet our expectations - because each individual's interpretation of a book is unique but a film usually just gives you a one-size-fits-all story.
....if I'm not making any sense just ignore this post!

Posts: 9 | Location: ACT, Australia | Registered: 26 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post