Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Opened a new door1
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opened a new door1
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Ashley,
As young writer, don't let anyone or anything discourage you...keep writing, and re-writing.!
Re-writing is important all writing is re-writing! First draft good, second better, 15th best, always change what you don't like expound on what you do! And let NO THING stand in your way!!

John AJ

Posts: 35 | Location: Fort Worth,Texas,USA | Registered: 13 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ashley:
Faler

I have not read anything of Steven King's yet but I have had many suggestions to read some of his work. What do you suggest I read? I've been writing since 6th grade as well. What do you write? Can I read some of your work?

The Dark Tower Series, Thinner, Misery, those are my favorites. I write a lot of horror, as many would call it. But please don't put me in the catergory of goremonger. Your writing reflects your being, any author will agree. You don't have a choice, what flows flows.

Yes, you may read my work, I'll Email it to you.

Posts: 106 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjpalumbo,
I took being called crazy as a compliment and i don't plan on taking it any other way. I will not let any one discourage me. People can say what they want. If they don't like something that i wrote then all i have to say is don't read it. I've learned the beauty of rewrites. Many times they bring out moe ideas that missed earlier.

Translator
I've already read some of bradbury's work, and i plan to read more. But don't let that stop you from giving your opinion. I f there is something you have to say, say it. I would like to know what you think.

Mr. Dark
Thank you for the suggestion.

Posts: 23 | Location: Sherburne, NY, 13460 | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't wait to read what you have writen. Thank you for sending them to me.

Posts: 23 | Location: Sherburne, NY, 13460 | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ashley: That's the spirit! Have you read Mr. Bradbury's "Zen in the Art of Writing?"
I think you would find it inspiring and informative - in view of your Determination!

Also, read the 5th chapter in "Dandelion Wine" when Doug buys the new sneakers from Mr. Sanderson. The old shoe saleman's comments to Douglas (just before D. scurries off) may apply to you. RE: When he is a bit older, Doug can have a job in the store if he wants it. He says "Thank you, but I'm not sure what I want to be."
Mr. S's response to that is what You may find especially interesting!

Let us know. Do well!

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will read them both and give my input ASAP. There are many things that apply to me just because i am a very mixed person.

posted Hide Post
Ashley,
Vonnegut is good. I like his short story collection "welcome to the monkey house."
I would highly reccomend Arthur Clarke. I haven't read any of his novels yet, but as a fan of the short story medium, I really like his short story compilations.

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Groon
What of his works do you suggest I read? Any of his short stories that stick out the most for you that you think I should read? I little guidance into a new author is better for me then just diving right in.

posted Hide Post
Once again, at the risk of looking like I'm pushing for glory of A) me, and B) the author, I am ready to send anyone iterested some traslations of short stories by Stan Lem. I had talks with Faber and Faber about publishing them, but it all went for naught. Which means I can only give them out privately - the old English translations of them are held by F&F, and now they don't like me. So, if anyone is interested, I could send them out via email. Just don't post them on websites anywhere.
Cheers, Pawel

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Translator
I am interested, can you send them to me? Chaio
Ashley

posted Hide Post
Arthur C Clarke, I read his Rendezvouse with Rama, when I was deployed to a godforsaken 3rd world country. It was a feat of imagination. Pure joy.

I remember looking at one of their newspapers, it had a listing of authors. Although I could not speak their language I recognized a few named. Edger Allen Poe, Dosteyofsky, and of course Ray Bradbury.

Their children new the Artists names of the original creators of my tattoos. Salvador Dali, Picasso, Edvard Munch.

It's amazing isn't it, that even in a place as disturbing as Colombia, South America they still know art and literature?

Posts: 106 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Art and literature are two of the few thing that make forming bonds with other countries possible. It's sad that we are not able to form bonds in other subjects. Then again not everyone is the same so not everyone is able to agree. At least with art there is something for everyone and everyone repects other peoples choices and are not out o change them. Art is one of the few things that people are able to disagree and be safe.
In some places art is the only thing that is keeping the people together.

posted Hide Post
Nowadays in the Western world at least. The man that painted my upper left arm Tattoo, "The Scream" by Edvard Munch, was deported from Nazi Germany. It wasn't for that painting though. I suspect it was for his "Fritz of Life" series, which had a painting called "Puberty", and "The Maddonna" which features a nude woman, in the same color scheme as "The Scream."

I would speak of the modern horrors of the Middle East, but there's no need to give those fanatics any more attention then they deserve.

posted Hide Post
Here, Here!

posted Hide Post
As posted somewhere else out here, there are two recent books that talk about the role literature can play in overcoming the oppression of a closed society. Both books are true:

READING LOLITA IN TEHRAN: A MEMOIR IN BOOKS. Azar Nafisi. Random House, NY. 2003.

THE HEMINGWAY BOOK CLUB OF KOSOVO. Paula Huntley. Jeremy P. Tarcher/Putnam, NY. 2003.

There is a powerful role for books to play in the enlightenment of minds. I don't remember who said it, but someone once said that people who won't read are no better off than people who can't. This is true when comparing an open society (like the US) to a closed society (where books, art, and ideas are repressed). There are many who just choose not to read. I think their lives are diminished by that decision.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post