Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    How Ray's writing has inspired me...
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Ray's writing has inspired me...
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Dandelion's book was an excellent and exciting read for me, as an observer of and student of life/ Her history is, I am sure impecable and the story is told with the feel of a well-written novel. It should be read by more people, and I would not change anything in it.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patrask: All editors want changes. From Random House to the tiniest backwater press...goes with the territory.

I manage a small press. Even my stuff gets edited, and not by me. (lol)

Here's the deal: No matter how perfect the author thinks the manuscript is, there is always room for improvement. Of course, except for basic spellcheck and formatting, and very minor changes, all major edits must have approval from the author. This is where the 'comment' function in Word comes in real handy. You review the manuscript, highlight the problem sections and make the comments, and then send it back to the author for review. The author can make changes and delete the comment boxes, or add comments of their own. In the end, the process works out well.

Dandelion: You should at least POD your book through Lulu.com and make it available to the public. The service is free. Any other questions, you should contact me privately by email. Using Lulu can produce a nice version in hardback and paperback, costs you nothing, and you get a free customizable storefront page with your own private web address. Ours is HERE.
Check it out to see what is possible. And Lulu does pay you for any sales made on your book. PayPal is the usual method, once a month. They've never let us down. Next year we are switching to Lightning Source/Ingram for book distribution and printing, but Lulu is a good place to start.

The Adventure Books Mail contact on the homepage of Adventure Books is the easiest way to get hold of me. I check it twice a day.

Also to Dandelion: This isn't an offer to publish your book. But in an email, I could explain exactly how you can make your book available in a pro-format at Lulu, for free. It would take too long to explain here, and be way off-topic... Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Robert M Blevins,

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm aware such options are far better now than twenty years ago, when I REALLY learned what makes publishers so darn picky, because you CAN lose a lot, fast, in producing a book. I've still opted for trying to go the conventional routes with every book I do until all other options are exhausted. Right now I'm more struggling with the writing than with the marketing and production process but all are important.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandy, have you read "Mockingbird", the new book about Harper Lee? Lots of insight into her ONE book (inspiration, publishing, editing, etc.) as well as Capote's "In Cold Blood". Turns out she did most of the legwork on the latter and got no credit.
Of course, we all expect more than one book from you!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. It's the rare author who could "say it all" in one book and I don't claim to be one! I hope you have not heard the last of me!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Notice the book is 'about' Harper Lee and not BY her...
That lady is the Greta Garbo of writers. I'll bet the author of the new book had a difficult research, since Harper Lee is a very private person.
Gayla the Bookkeeper says: The film version is her all-time favorite movie. The office staff purchased her a deluxe edition with these little movie posters, etc. in the DVD box. Merry Christmas, Gayla!

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...some of the best music too in that movie.

Say, speaking of private people, what's become of "Chapter 31"? One of my favourite folks on this board.
Perhaps he's on holiday?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Or, as Sammy Cahn wrote, "...high apple pie in the sky hopes!"

(remember the great Sinatra rendition of that tune?)

A Hole in the Head! Wonderful film.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post