Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    How Ray's writing has inspired me...
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Ray's writing has inspired me...
 Login/Join

posted
i'm not going to pretend to be a huge bradbury fan of any kind, or say that i've read all of his books. honestly, i've only read one.... fahrenheit 451.

a month and a half ago i was still in highschool, not having any idea of what i planned on doing afterwards. uninspired and unmotivated is how the past few years of my life has been. but this one book changed that.

i was sitting in my english class in late may trying desperately to stay awake while the instructor, mr. cox, described the newest project that was due. a book report. the way his class worked was we had a report due each quarter, and each one had to be in a different format. the only format i had left was visual aid... and i had recently just bought a digital video camera. so i figgured, why not make a video?

i got a bunch of my friends together and decided that we would make a group project. all the videos that were done so far that year were funny, and rediculous in nature. but i really wanted to make something meaningful and serious. 451 was the only book i could ever imagine doing something serious with so we collectivly decided on that. it was the perfect book! it had action, and delt with a topic i felt very strongly about.

so after weeks of planning, we started shooting, and the 5 days it took to film were some of the most amazing of my life. the whole process was amazing... filming, directing, acting, and editing. i had found my nich... and with out 451 it couldnt have been possible. i wouldnt have got into the process nearly as much. i needed something i felt strongly about and fahrenheit 451 was perfect.

we finished the whole thing in just under a week. the presentation to the class was great. mr. cox, who all of the studentds hold very much respect for, was very impressed and suggested i go to school for digital filming. i was flattered but didnt think much of the advice. but many other teachers and adults i know and respect said the same thing. it got me thinking... why not? if i have so much fun doing this and its something i can express feelings and display what i feel strongly about.. why not?

im now enrolled at the digital film acadamy in nyc; one of the most highly credited schools of its kind. i now have a dream, and an adventure ahead of me.... and i would not have realized my destiny without fahrenheit 451 and ray bradbury.

thanks ray

p.s. this is the credits to my film which ended up being a half an hour long. one of my favorite scenes because it wraps everything up.

enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/v/HwB5E2gFL5E

Posts: 7 | Location: Cathlamet, WA | Registered: 20 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonderful! It would be a mistake for anyone ever to think that people like Ray Bradbury live wasted lives. After this I wonder, what good did Ray do today? Sort of like a butterfly souring about making everything a little bit better.

Good fortune to you. I’m sure you’ll achieve it.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
exactly. i can only hope to have that affect on other's lives...

he is truly an amazing man.

Posts: 7 | Location: Cathlamet, WA | Registered: 20 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huh, you guys have high hopes. I can only hope to have *any* effect on others' lives...enough to be remembered more than 10 minutes after my demise.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes, i do have high hopes. what's the point of living a life if you dont.

posted Hide Post
Or, as Sammy Cahn wrote, "...high apple pie in the sky hopes!"

(remember the great Sinatra rendition of that tune?)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Filthy Diabetic: I liked your video and am glad for your expectations, but one thing bothers me. You're not using the English language properly. It is not you alone as I cringe whenevever I see any post where the writer does not see the courtesy of spelling words correctly, capitalizing where appropriate, and in general, appearing to be a professional person.

Every once in a while I have a typo but try to correct it as soon as possible. I think people will take you a lot more serious when they see professional writing instead the short-cut, non-capitalizing script.

Beat me up if you wish, but I know that the other teachers who post on this board will agree 100% with me.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, and it's "more seriously."

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In an endeavor to become a polymath, one may only become a dilettante; but at least he will not be nescient!

By the way, the spoken intro to that film must've been a bio-blurb lifted from one of Ray's books printed before his wife died.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wow... i didnt think i would get this much crap about how i write.

when i write a paper, or anything serious, of course i will use proper capitalization, and spelling. i was just trying to get my general feeling about something out. but... OK.

oh well.

plus... the narroration of the credits was originaly compiled by my friend joel from notes that my group took. he needed to keep his end up on the project.

it may not be compleatly original, i dont know, but it wasnt the narroration that i reicieved compliments on.

posted Hide Post
FD, Be of good cheer.
Avid readers are often picky about writing!
Welcome aboard!

posted Hide Post
“More serious.” More serious! Slowly I turned. Step by step I crept upon the fellow…

By the way, you’re in good company, FilthyDiabetic. “Crap” is one of Ray Bradbury’s favorite words.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Filthy--What a great story! If you look back through some of the older posts here, you will see that Ray and his books have had a positive impact on many of us, in a variety of ways. Keep us posted on how your classes go at the digital film academy. That sounds like a fun course of study. I do have one word of advice: You must sample more of Ray's work!!! I recommend "Something Wicked..." as your next selection or perhaps "October Country."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lmskipper,

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Imskipper... i just bought martian chronicles, but thanks for your advice. i will know which book to move onto when im finished!