Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Hi! I am new and I have been inspired
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hi! I am new and I have been inspired
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
liBRarY, please forgive me, but my English minor and whatever comes rushing forward, but I must point out that that reverting back is a redundancy in that the word revert means "to go back." Just trying to be helpful, not obnoxious. Hey, Doug Spaulding, obnoxious is a good word.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a former English major (before I switched to Theology), I often annoy folks as well (can you imagine such a thing!?) in much the same manner.

In fact, I have even been known to correct their writing, and hand them back the paper!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
English major, eh? Here's a classic example of a redundancy (tautology?):

"We two both have an apple each."

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
biplane-
revert is a verb. So, to refer to a previous condition, such to revert back, is therefore acceptable.

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So there!

That apple thingy is over my head (I said I was a former English Major)!

Is Major spelled with a small or large "M"?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid that I, too annoy people by pointing out their misspellings and grammatical errors....and I didn't even go to college. Well, I had the benefit of a couple of excellent English teachers!
My children and husband suffer my corrections with absent but essentially good-natured 'Whatever's and continue to say 'me and him,' but I believe in persistence.
When I send e-mails to the local-affiliate news programs pointing out that the term 'not hardly' is a double negative, they reply with acknowledgment e-mails but never address my ummm.....'complaint.'
Patricia Cornwell is also fond of 'not hardly,' and when I mentioned this to my significant other, he suggested that perhaps I have too much time on my hands. Wink Big Grin

We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle, and if you should feel really happy, be patient: this will pass.
~~Garrison Keillor

Posts: 50 | Location: The not-so-wild, wild west, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me and him" is correct in an objective case, e.g. "It was fun for me and him."

One of my pet peeves is the misuse of "lie" and "lay". I bet most of us mess those up a lot!

The rule is "lie" is intransitive (requiring no direct object), and "lay" is transitive (requiring a direct object).

There are many more errors that seem to be becoming prevalent; many spread by news reporters and celebrities. We can get into this if anyone would like to...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are getting technical aren't we! liBRarY I stand chastised, or should it be "lie" chastised. Well, anyway, I think that it is neat that we all care enough about each other and what we say that we can, in a good natured way, correct and/or comment on what is said.

I have been dreaming of a great convention or gathering of Ray Bradbury Board posters and that we would all be able to travel free and stay at no cost in a central location and Ray would be there as well. And, No. I have not been smoking anything.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
biplane1, in that dream are we all really there, or are we projected on the walls of a room (as in "The Veldt")? That would keep the travel costs down, but I don't know who would pay for installing the wallscreens...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a beautiful dream, Biplane!
The free travel and lodging just may be a problem!
Anyone out there wealthy enough to foot the bill?
Hmmm...I wonder if Bill Gates reads much Bradbury...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
So there!

That apple thingy is over my head (I said I was a former English Major)!

Is Major spelled with a small or large "M"?

Only if the person is a major Major and not just a major in a major study area or writes music in a major scale.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
And, No. I have not been smoking anything.

Then you haven't been hanging around GCJ!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:

One of my pet peeves is the misuse of "lie" and "lay". I bet most of us mess those up a lot!

The rule is "lie" is intransitive (requiring no direct object), and "lay" is transitive (requiring a direct object).

There are many more errors that seem to be becoming prevalent; many spread by news reporters and celebrities. We can get into this if anyone would like to...

Question: the prepositonal phrase you quoted is correct, but I believe that one always mentions the other person first, thus it should be him and me, no?

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Generally, yes. I was showing how the exact phrase used by poetesse could be correct.
In context, too, one might put oneself first. Taking the example given, it would be semantically correct if you knew it would be fun for you but had doubts about him.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:

I wrote to a semi-famous online sports-writer just a couple of days ago and took him to task for beginning not only sentences but paragraphs with 'Which....' I HATE that. He ignored my e-mail, surprise, surprise.
As for the 'me and him,' yes, I know that in some instances it's correct.....But you guys gotta understand something: I live in TEXAS! As the travel ads proclaim, 'it's a whole 'nother country.' When my kids say 'me and him,' it's usually something like "Me 'n' him are gonna go to the game.' As I posted previously, I DO try to gently correct, but I have a whole state against me.
Here are some gems I hear in town:
"Well, where-abouts is you at?"
"They done gone and went to town."
"Don't he'p 'em! Let 'em do it theirselfs."
This one, however, is my absolutefavorite:
"I tell ya, bo-ah, I was mad enough ta sh*t a meat axe!"
My kids don't have a chance! Roll Eyes

We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle, and if you should feel really happy, be patient: this will pass.
~~Garrison Keillor

Posts: 50 | Location: The not-so-wild, wild west, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post