Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Bradbury and Fahrenheit 9/11
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury and Fahrenheit 9/11
 Login/Join

posted
I was very disappointed in Ray Bradbury when I read the following :

"LOS ANGELES - Ray Bradbury is demanding an apology from filmmaker Michael Moore (news) for lifting the title from his classic science-fiction novel "Fahrenheit 451" without permission and wants the new documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11" to be renamed.
"He didn't ask my permission," Bradbury, 83, told The Associated Press on Friday. "That's not his novel, that's not his title, so he shouldn't have done it."
The 1953 novel, widely considered Bradbury's masterpiece, portrays an ugly futuristic society in which firemen burn homes and libraries in order to destroy the books inside and keep people from thinking independently.
"Fahrenheit 451" takes its title from the temperature at which books burn. Moore has called "Fahrenheit 9/11" the "temperature at which freedom burns." "

Ray Bradbury behaves like a MAJOR ASS.....!!!
How can one CLAIM a WORD like "Fahrenheit" as "personal property" !?????!
It's simply an instrument for graduation-scale....

What's next ? Should no one use words like "Celsius", "Pound" or "Yard" in a title of a book or film anymore....simply because someone already used those words and - according to dear Ray - as such can now claim them as "personal property" and scream "copyright !" ???

Absolutely ridiculous....

Liked the book Ray, but you really disgust me....

Especially since I heard that a new edition of "Fahrenheit 451" will be coming out in 8 weeks and I suspect you are only looking for some additional press to boost your sales....

Cheap !

Pierke. (Ex-fan)

Posts: 1 | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before blathering on, read all the other posts on this overblown topic. You are making attacks on Bradbury based on things Bradbury has NOT said, claimed or demanded. Get off your political high horse and deal with the facts.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pierke
Right, RB is being very childish and egotistical. Very disappointing, it is not the same title.

Posts: 5 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: 26 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bradbury never said it was the same title. So many false statements out here.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Ray Bradbury is demanding an apology from filmmaker Michael Moore (news) for lifting the title..."

Sound like it to me.

Posts: 5 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: 26 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He "lifted" the title and wanted free credibility and publicity by association. That is not the same as copying the title -- something of which Bradbury has not accused him.

Where did Bradbury say the title was the same?

We ARE writing in English, aren't we?

posted Hide Post
quote:
He "lifted" the title and wanted free credibility and publicity by association.

Michael Moore already has credibility and people would have flock to his movie no matter what the title.

Bradbury should feel honored that somebody would elude to his work. I doubt Kurt Vonnegut would have gotten petty if Michael Moore had entitled his movie "Slaughterhouse 9/11."

Posts: 3 | Registered: 30 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Pierke,

Thanks for becoming an ex-fan. If you can write the following:
" Ray Bradbury behaves like a MAJOR ASS.....!!! "

You weren't much of a fan anyway. Please go away and let those that love the work of Ray Bradbury continue in peace.

Be gone!

Posts: 3 | Registered: 04 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be gone, imposter! You don't belong here! Be gone!

quote:
Originally posted by boozemun:
Pierke
Right, RB is being very childish and egotistical. Very disappointing, it is not the same title.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 04 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nebula 1400

Vonegut said that he would ...throw Moore into a vat of molasses...if he dared mess with the Slaughterhouse title.

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 07-04-2004).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for Kurt!
...though Moore would probably just eat it...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Ray Bradbury and his writing. Fahrenheit 451 is one of the best books ever! But he must know that you can't copyright a title. So why would anyone ask permission?

Posts: 1 | Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA | Registered: 04 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arrrrrrrggggghhhh!

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pertaining to .....''Star61''

pterran, Your frustration is understood. For we have people like ''Star61'' make a comment with absolutely no understanding of what has transpired on these boards. The comment is infuriating because it's like after the civil war some yokel comes out of the woods and asks what's all the fuss about.

I'd ask ''Star61'' to read what has already transpired in endless postings under many topic listings...pertaining to this issue. '''Fahrenheit'''..the word... has been for decades associated with Bradbury in the world of publishing. Please! Don't argue the same points. It's already all been argued...

pterran?!! Me too. AAARrrrGGgggHh!!!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seriously, are people still talking about this? I say, from now on, whenever anyone brings up the Moore/Bradbury title thingy, someone of the regulars here should answer the culprit with a very twisty, confusing, and incomprehesinble post. That way, all those people will get confused, and they;ll go away.
Or keep silent; that works too.
Cheers, Translator

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post