Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Fall is here! (And a question)

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fall is here! (And a question)
 Login/Join

posted
Hurrah! Fall is here! (And, mog, how are your pumpkins growing?)

Posts: 77 | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am looking forward to receiving my copy of Bradbury's Masks edited by Donn Albright, before the All Hallows Eve spreads its dark shadows over my neighborhood.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sure is!

"Live Forever!"

ImageFall.jpeg (49 Kb, 11 downloads)

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So THAT'S why they call it "fall".

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once again, that pithy wit shines thru!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes...that time of year again!

A few typical scenes in our neck of the words: Enjoy!

Morning drive to work ~ Morning drive to work ~ http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1421/572192237_a1458e4d74.jpg?v=0

Walk along nearby village stream or river ~ http://k53.pbase.com/o6/07/739407/1/73584460.YObjzRDi.AdirondackFallColors.jpg

Drive through the Adirondack Mountains ~ http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PTGPOD/533...tains-NY-Posters.jpg

View of Mr. B's favorite fruit, plentiful in local Amish fields ~ http://lh3.ggpht.com/_HT-4KmroIyw/RYWgn84KHWI/AAAAAAAAA...O4xfEFk/DSC_2355.jpg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And would you believe, I have misplaced my copy of The October Country? I think it was left behind when I moved. My ritual has always been to greet the first evening with a recitation of the intro. Now its gone, and I feel like someone has just stolen my Christmas tree, my Thanksgiving turkey, my Easter Eggs, and my Jack-O-Lantern. I feel like I've just slept through Halloween.

How did it go again? The one about Autumn People and Autumn thoughts, midnights stay and twilights linger? Anybody? Even the first line would be a tonic. . .

Posts: 17 | Registered: 12 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Dylag:
...I feel like someone has just stolen my Christmas tree...

You've had a grinch come into your house in the wee hours!

quote:
Even the first line would be a tonic. . .

A medicine for melancholy?

...that country where it is always turning late in the year. That country where the hills are fog and the rivers are mist; where noons go quickly, dusks and twilights linger, and midnights stay. That country composed in the main of cellars, sub-cellars, coal-bins, closets, attics, and pantries faced away from the sun. That country whose people are autumn people, thinking only autumn thoughts. Whose people passing at night on the empty walks sound like rain...

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Dylag:
...I feel like someone has just stolen my Christmas tree...

You've had a grinch come into your house in the wee hours!

quote:
Even the first line would be a tonic. . .

A medicine for melancholy?

In Ray Bradbury's story, isn't the actual thing, the object in Medicine for Melancholy described subtly as ...sex?

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Viktoria:
Hurrah! Fall is here! (And, mog, how are your pumpkins growing?)

Hi Viktoria! Mog the Dog here.

Thanks for asking. Unfortunately, a gopher nibbled at the roots of my pumpkin vines, killing some of them and their cute little unripe pumpkins. I ended up with two pumpkins, both of which are half the size of my watermelon.

Oh well, I'll get another shot at it next year.

MTD

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wahh-h-h-! mog, that's too bad! I was looking forward to a visual essay on your pumpkin to enjoy as I did the one on your watermelon. Dang those gophers! I forget the title of this film which I saw on TV last year about those people who are obsessed in growing those huge, lopsided squashes ("giant pumpkins," as they are incorrectly called). When I say "obsessed," I mean OBSESSED! I especially remember one lady who put a multi-layered circle of set mousetraps around her prize specimen, which she called "the Ring of Death," to protect it from scavenging mice. It was very droll, the whole film, and I hope to see it again this year. Better luck next time!

posted Hide Post
Just Googled it. That "giant pumpkin" film is called "Lords of the Gourd."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Viktoria:
I forget the title of this film which I saw on TV last year about those people who are obsessed in growing those huge, lopsided squashes...

Amazing Stories also had a good episode on that subject.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:

In Ray Bradbury's story, isn't the actual thing, the object in Medicine for Melancholy described subtly as ...sex?

I recall that the Medicine is a sexual one, for the Melancholy. One of the strange stories where Bradbury decided to use it comouflaged with all sort of metaphors.

Posts: 162 | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post