Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    mystery to me

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

mystery to me
 Login/Join

posted
Hy, my name is Alice Leiber,actually Leiber Alice Mihaela and I`m from Romania and I was shocked to find on the internet a character from one of Ray`s books that had my actual name.Can anyone answer me how did he come up with this name because as far as I know my last name is not that common being an austriac name actually ...I`m was more in a shock when I saw that there is a movie too based on the book and one of the main characters is Alice Leiber(is that me?!?hahaha...hope it`s not a murderer)

Posts: 3 | Registered: 11 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buna ziua, Alice!
Fritz Lieber was actually quite a famous Science Fiction author, so maybe Ray got the surname from him. Someone on the board here might know.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know about Fritz Leiber(not Lieber) and maybe you`re right..it will be funny to see the movie ..thank you

posted Hide Post
This must be a reference to "The Small Assassin". Actually, there are at least two film versions of the story: one from the Ray Bradbury Theater TV series, and one a recent short film made in Chicago.

From my (weak) knowledge of German, I think "Leiber" means "bodies"... which is kind of an appropriate name for the parents in the story, given their fate.

I've often been curious about Bradbury's knowledge of German, as he has used afew German character names. Best known, of course, is Montag from F451.

Fritz Leiber was a great writer, and like Bradbury came from Illinois. Does anyone know if they knew each other? Leiber began publishing roughly around the same time as Bradbury, late '30s, early '40s.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you put it that way..then you must be right.
I was just curious because you have to agree it`s not a common name and only the author knows exactly why those particular names.thank you Phil

posted Hide Post
Rats. I meant Leiber, not Lieber.
Multumesc.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PHIL:

I think I posted this photo somewheres before. But here it is!! Fritz Leiber on the far left, Ray on the right.

ImageFritz_Ray.jpg (62 Kb, 28 downloads)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thans, Nard, that's great!

But who's the guy in the middle?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's awesome, Nard.

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PHIL:

I'll have to ask Ray. I don't know. It was his photo.

LordShen:
Actually, I took the Leiber photo off my website. I got the photo from Ray. Here's a quick look at ALL the photos from my website pertaining to Ray. Those marked Personal Photos #1 & 2 are from Ray himself.

http://catchaway.com/support/bottomRightFrameBradbury.htm#

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...check out the link in my above post for Ray photos:

But check out this one as well. A larger photo of Ray, on the right...his Ma, and brother Skip, far left.

ImageRAYSkip_Mom.jpg (280 Kb, 33 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Now that photo I remember seeing before - because Mrs Bradbury looks just like the adult Ray Bradbury. In fact, it could be RB in drag!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
PHIL:
I'll tell you what's really strange: Bradbury's mother in this photio can't be more than, maybe, 42 or thereabouts. Well, figure: Ray is...how old? 8, 9 yrs old. Ten? How old was she when she had Ray? Let's say 35. That would make her a whopping 45 years old at most.

How different we look today!!

posted Hide Post
Very interesting topic! Smiler

"Why do people take drugs anymore when reality has become hallucination?!!"

Posts: 10 | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a photo of Ray Bradbury and the great fantasy writer Fritz Leiber at the 1977 World Fantasy Convention, held in Los Angeles, click on the link below. (Ray received the Convention's Lifetime Achievement Award that same year, and I believe he is holding that award...at that time, a bust of H.P. Lovecraft created by artist Gahan Wilson... in the photo.)

https://commons.wikimedia.org/...sy_Con_III,_1977.jpg

For another, much older, photo of Ray and Mr. Leiber, click on the link in Nard Kordell's October 11, 2007 posting above. (Incidentally, Nard also posted a great photo of Ray, his mother and his brother Skip on the following day, October 12, 2007, which can be accessed in his posting above.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard,

Posts: 2456 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post