Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Video Teleconference 4/6/2008
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Video Teleconference 4/6/2008
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I also received my copy of John Coker's book yesterday, and am greatly enjoying it. It has a number of wonderful vintage photos of Ray and his friends from years past, many of which I had never seen before.

Posts: 2461 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is awesome, I'm so glad that so many of you have ordered this from John. He is a great guy and deserves the support!

Posts: 86 | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Cocker's next book will be on someone Mr. B has known since 1937, Forrest J. Ackerman. A legend in his own right.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who is Mr.Cocker? Joe?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Parish:
Who is Mr.Cocker? Joe?

Coker, sorry.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Mr. Cocker's next book will be on someone Mr. B has known since 1937, Forrest J. Ackerman.

Pray, tell me more since I am shooting a documentary on Uncle 4E!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Coker, sorry.

You were thinking of a rock singer in much the same way that you were thinking of a rock group called Blood Sweat & Tears whilst trying to announce a certain TZ writer!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I felt so bad because I had left a message for John L. Coker III wondering where my copy was. He said that he would mail it the very next day (a week ago today) and I put my check in the mail along with some photos that were taken when my family and me visited Ray in 1996.

My check was cashed and no book. But I had him mail it to my place of work forgetting that sometimes mail, especially packages, may sit for days in the mail room until someone from the office brings it up. It couldn't have been more than five minutes from when I left my message to John that my co-worker handed me John's neatly packaged Chapbook and another package that I had been looking for as well.

Thanks again John.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Coker, sorry.

You were thinking of a rock singer in much the same way that you were thinking of a rock group called Blood Sweat & Tears whilst trying to announce a certain TZ writer!

It was my prior life of working with my rock idols when I was associated with Atari that I keep reliving.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
I just received word that my bid was accepted for an auction. Smiler

I am getting a bottle of Dandelion Wine that was autographed by RAY!!!

posted Hide Post
HOW COOL IS THIS!!!!!

Friends of the Library’s Dandelion Wine Auction Concludes on a High Note

The Friends of the South Pasadena Library’s online silent auction of bottles of’ dandelion wine autographed by Ray Bradbury has successfully concluded. Only 10 of the bottles of the rare wine were signed by Bradbury before his Author Night appearance for the South Pasadena Library on March 14 in the South Pasadena High School Auditorium. The rare wine was donated by Maple River Winery of Casselton, North Dakota and the labels were signed by the inimitable author during the “Ray Bradbury Day in South Pasadena ” festivities.

It wasn’t known at first, but dandelion wine is one of the hardest wines to find in the United States . When it could not be located in this vicinity for the event, Maple River Winery of Casselton, South Dakota was called after a quick Internet search. When asked if he’d ever sent dandelion wine to Ray Bradbury, winery co-owner Greg Kempel stated that he’d sent it to many community theater companies around the United States presenting the Dandelion Wine play, but never to the author himself. Without a moment’s hesitation Kempel offered to donate bottles of dandelion wine to the Friends’ fundraising effort, and added that he was a Bradbury admirer.

The semi-sweet dessert beverage, said to taste like a combination of chardonnay and corn on the cob, is produced from hand-picked North Dakota dandelions. The winery, one of the only commercial producers of dandelion wine in the United States , customarily sells out each holiday season.

The winning bids total more than $530. Almost without exception, winning bidders reside nearby and many were in attendance in the large South Pasadena audience. Three of the winning bids exceed $100 and one of those came from an official from a State legislator’s office who collects items autographed by “the great authors.” Local winners have been notified to mail in their checks made out to the Friends so that they can pick up their bottles at WineStyles in South Pasadena , one of the community partners for the Library’s event.

Surprisingly, one of the winning bids came all the way from Bohemia , New York . Matt Parish , a Bradbury fan for more than 35 years, sent an email stating that he has “three kids and not a lot of money lying around” but that maybe his bid of $25 would be lucky. Dandelion Wine is one of his favorite books and he also provided a copy of a letter he sent to the author in 2007 declaring “You sir are my ‘time machine’ to my youth and for that I am forever indebted to you.” He received a hearty reply from Bradbury that acknowledged that the fan letter had him in tears.

Ray Bradbury’s classic Dandelion Wine is a semi-autographical book set in Green Town , Illinois , a fictionalized version of Bradbury’s own Waukegan . The protagonist, 12 year-old Douglas Spaulding, awakens one summer morning in his grandparents’ house and is filled with wonderment at being alive, feeling his breath whistling between his teeth while the breeze caresses his neck. In the novel, dandelion wine serves as a central symbol of the fleeting joys of youth and summer.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Parish:
Surprisingly, one of the winning bids came all the way from Bohemia , New York . Matt Parish , a Bradbury fan for more than 35 years, sent an email stating that he has “three kids and not a lot of money lying around” but that maybe his bid of $25 would be lucky. Dandelion Wine is one of his favorite books and he also provided a copy of a letter he sent to the author in 2007 declaring “You sir are my ‘time machine’ to my youth and for that I am forever indebted to you.” He received a hearty reply from Bradbury that acknowledged that the fan letter had him in tears.

That must be the sweetest bottle of Dandelion Wine ever tasted. Congratulations Mr Parish!

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been to Casselton, North Dakota, but not to the winery!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post