Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Video Teleconference 4/6/2008
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Video Teleconference 4/6/2008
 Login/Join

posted
2008 I-CON 27 Gallun Award Recipient

Stony Brook, Long Island 4/5/2008

Ray Bradbury

"For outstanding contributions to the Genre of Science Fiction"

ICON Science Fiction Inc. is proud to announce that the recipient of the prestigious Gallun Award for I-CON 27 will be the renowned Ray Bradbury.

Mr Bradbury will be accepting the award (presented via Harlan Ellison) via conference call

I-CON 27 will be a very special event for our track as it marks the return of Harlan Ellison.

One of the most popular guests in ICON's history, Mr. Ellison can be counted on to be witty, brilliant and confrontational. His work has been recognized by virtually every writing award and we are thrilled to welcome him back. Watch our website for some very special programming honoring him.

And I'll be there!

Posts: 86 | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonderful news! Mr B and Mr E are my favourite writers, so it's great that they will be linking up across the continent in this way. I hope someone will be there with a video camera...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll do my best!

posted Hide Post
Hooray!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The tele-conference was TREMENDOUS!

A gentleman named John L. Coker III was the events conductor and he coordinated this phone call with Ray and a few of his friends. Harlan Ellison was there as well and he was very funny. Apparently he and Ray are great friends and when he got on the phone to talk to Ray he said, "How's yer ass Old Man?" and the place busted up with laughter. I have to get some pictures developed and when I do I will post them here. Incidentally, John L. Coker has just published a new book of Ray's stories and recollections called "Surround Yourself with Your Loves and Live Forever". There are only 100 copies printed and I got #41 so I'd hurry if you are interested. His may still be on the road but his publishing contact number is (407) 894-4425

posted Hide Post
Parish,

I just ordered my copy, thank you.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent John!

Glad I could help you obtain this unique book. It's signed by the author ( John L. Coker III ) and the illustrator Miguel Flores Smiler

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Parish:
Excellent John!

Glad I could help you obtain this unique book. It's signed by the author ( John L. Coker III ) and the illustrator Miguel Flores Smiler

Mr. Coker asked me to hold off getting my copy signed by Mr. B until he has a chance to send him a copy. I hope I can hold off. Wink

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Mr. Coker asked me to hold off getting my copy signed by Mr. B until he has a chance to send him a copy. I hope I can hold off. Wink

Thats awesome!
I'm jealous, but is a good way Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I also ordered my copy from John Coker III yesterday, and can't wait to receive it. I have met John at conventions in the past. He is a great guy, and thinks the world of Ray. John also told me how pleased he was that his book was mentioned on this forum.

Many thanks for the information, Parish!

Posts: 2438 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got off the phone with John L. Coker III and was delighted to learn that he lives in Orlando, a mere 3 and half hour drive to the north.

So in addition to ordering his book I suggested the possibility of getting together some day for lunch.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
I just got off the phone with John L. Coker III...I suggested the possibility of getting together some day for lunch.

Name dropper!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
I just got off the phone with John L. Coker III

You must be a masseuse because you're really good at rubbing it in! Smiler

Congrats!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Parish:
You must be a masseuse...

Masseur, surely!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I received my copy of John Cocker's book today. "Surround Yourself with Your Loves and Live Forever" is a fun book and is much more than a chapbook, more a limited edition trade paperback. It has some very nice photos from days gone by and Mr. Cocker's poem, with artwork, is very nice, too.

John King Tarpinian