Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    ...But who inspired Bradbury?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

...But who inspired Bradbury?
 Login/Join

posted
A few days ago I started reading The Invisible Man by H.G Wells. I was amazed at the imagination and foresight of this very atmospheric story which was written well over a hundred years ago.

I wonder how much Ray Bradbury's work has been inspired by Wells' and others?

Tinfish

[This message has been edited by Tinfish (edited 03-08-2002).]

Posts: 6 | Location: uk | Registered: 05 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As well as being a Ray Bradbury fan, I am also fond of 19th and early 20th century science fiction. Jules Verne and H. G. Wells. You can check up on the early authors and find out how pre-scient they were. I recommend "When the Sleeper Wakes", and "Things to Come" by H. G. Wells. I know, from a preface that Ray wrote to a book about "Oz" books, that he did read many of the "Oz" books. I own 18 of them. Some by L. Frank Baum, the originator, and the rest by Ruth Plumly Thompson.

H. G. was in contact with the leading scientific minds of his time.

D. Wahl

Posts: 10 | Location: Genesee, ID, USA | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suggest you look at "In his words" on this website. It's almost eerie how closely I guessed the wiriters that inspired him. His adventure at the carnival was very revealing about the implications for Dark Carnival and the Illustrated Man.
D. Wahl

Posts: 10 | Location: Genesee, ID, USA | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nicola Tesla is the source of "Mr. Electrico's demonstrations. He also invented and implemented everything necessary for our modern AC power distribution system. He illuminated the 1893 Chicago World's Fair: The "White City"
A visit to the "White City" inspired L. Frank Baum to write about "The Emerald City".

I have a souvenier volume from the 1893 Chicago World's Fair: "Columbus and Columbia".

Seems as if Tesla inspired nearly everything, including beating marconi in inventing radio.