Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR. BRADBURY!!!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR. BRADBURY!!!
 Login/Join

posted
Greetings, Ray, and happy birthday to my all-time favorite author! I wish you a joyous and productive year.

Warmest regards,

Kent

Posts: 2 | Location: avanclea@utk.edu | Registered: 22 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rather than start a new topic with yet-another birthday wish, I will add mine to this thread.

So, happy birthday Ray! I've only read Driving Blind. My wife (who encouraged me to read for fun as an adult) has read many more of your books. We also own Volumes 1 and 2 of the DVD collections of the Ray Bradbury Theater TV series from the 80s. We love them! I also A Sound of Thunder! Great short.

Here's to another 88!

Best regards.

-- This is not a signature

Posts: 1 | Location: Sanford, FL | Registered: 22 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today we celebrate a most unusal birthday occurance, Ray is now 88 years young. I have written the following poem in his honor and will present it to Ray tomorrow at the Birthday Party in Glendale. I post it here for others to read. I hope you enjoy the poem:

For Ray at 88
The time has come, the digits are now again the same,
‘Gives one pause to think, how this happens in the game;
You have made it to the pinnacle of yearly symmetry,
How you did it with such grace and charm is such a mystery.

Eight times in your life this has now occurred,
This time, two infinities stand on their heads, observe;
The boy of 8 now adds another 80 and remembers his past,
Runs again through fields and ravines he loves so it will last.

The years are like the keys on the piano, black and white,
Each a different tone memory of things quite lost to sight;
Arranged in several ways, their songs can all be heard,
A music of the years, up and down, all quite absurd.

An artist can play these notes for all to hear and feel,
A symphony of living, that celebrates love so real;
Each key a time vibration, of things that were then,
Now played by the Master’s hand, we can live it all again.

Your first such, 11, was too early to take note of,
Then came 22, life began to move and fill with love;
Upon 33, partnership, the sum, larger than the parts,
Then 44, and works to keep you in your children’s hearts.

At midlife, 55, somehow seemed to be too fast,
Then 66 came, and you knew it would not last;
Then 77, like two lovers who spoon in bed,
And now a full keyboard of music that plays in your head.

So Ray, at 88 we rejoice with you as we celebrate,
The music of your life, so carefully arranged this late;
And the years are played for us, as for you they were then,
May the music of the years make you happy once again.

¬¬By Philip Trask August 22, 2008

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 126 | Location: Texas | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work, as always.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday Argonaut to Metaphor!
Continued Health and Joy!
Best, Robert

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rpmdesigns:
I've only read Driving Blind.

Wow - you're in for a treat!

Better stockpile some reading time.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Poets and artists have we here - how appropriate to this forum.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY RAY.

ImageBirthday____1.jpg (59 Kb, 10 downloads)

Posts: 2 | Location: CA. | Registered: 23 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Happy Birthday is just what the doctor ordered.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All the best, Mr. B.
The most truly inspiring person I've ever met.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II, pray tell when did you get to meet Ray? Were you able to attend the gala event?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday, Ray! Double 8's--the sign of eternity twice over. Appropriate, since you'll live forever!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biplane, I met him only briefly many moons ago at two of his talks, one in San Jose and one in Cupertino.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Ray, I sure pray that you had a blessed day. Your books have meant so much to me over what is it 55 something years. I found them when I lived in London and you are always the SF writer that comes first. Thank you.. Ron

Posts: 1 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 24 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post