Ray Bradbury Forums
Ray Bradbury's Recipe for Peach Kuchen (Cake)

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6791083901/m/6107014996

07 October 2022, 06:26 PM
Richard
Ray Bradbury's Recipe for Peach Kuchen (Cake)
From the 1981 book, THE GREAT AMERICAN WRITERS' COOKBOOK, comes Ray Bradbury's recipe for peach kuchen ("kuchen" is German for "cake") The recipe below apparently makes six servings. And since Ray says it's better than sex, it must be good!

"Ray Bradbury's Peach Kuchen

"I wish I could think of something fabulous, but then as soon as I say that, I realize I have a recipe that has been around our house for 25 years, and is incredible. Try this on your watering gums! Ray Bradbury's Peach Kuchen, by God! Stupendous stuff. Better than wine, popcorn, sex, cocaine and memories of W. C. Fields!

"2 cups sifted all-purpose flour, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup butter or margarine, 12 peach halves, fresh or canned, or 2 packages frozen slices, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 2 egg yolks, 1 cup heavy or sour cream.

"Start your oven at 400 degrees or moderately hot and get out an 8-inch square pan. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and 2 tablespoons sugar together in a mixing bowl.

"Cut in butter or margarine with two knives or a pastry blender until mixture looks like coarse cornmeal. Pat an even layer of this crumbly pastry over bottom and halfway up the sides of baking pan. Use your hands and press firmly until it holds.

"Skin fresh peaches and cut in half; drain canned; thaw and drain frozen peaches. Arrange peaches over bottom pasty neatly and sprinkle with a mixture of remaining sugar and cinnamon. Bake 15 minutes, then pour a mixture of slightly beaten egg yolks and heavy or sour cream over the top. Bake 30 minutes longer. Serve warm or cold."