Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Camel cigs rips off Ray

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Camel cigs rips off Ray
 Login/Join

posted
Was walking through a local gas station the other day when I was assaulted by a 6 foot tall sign pedaling Camel cigarettes, boldly emblazoned with the great words that began F451:

..."Pleasure to Burn"

Is Camel (famous for their subliminal advertising techniques) capitalizing on a phrase that Bradbury had already set resonating in our collective subconscious???

Also- My 1st time posting here. Wonderful site. Have loved and cherished Mr. Bradbury's work since I was a child. Had the privilege of meeting him at a lecture in Dayton, OH maybe 10 years ago.

Live forever!

Posts: 2 | Location: Grayson, KY USA | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When this was brought up on these boards before, not much was concluded regarding it: http://www.raybradbury.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000059.html

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to be repetitive. Next time I'll use the search function. It was the first time I'd seen it so I thought it must be a brand new campaign.

Thanks!

Live forever!

Posts: 2 | Location: Grayson, KY USA | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We don't really have Camel cigarettes here in the UK, but I was intrigued by this apparent use of a Bradbury phrase, so I did some internet searching. I have found some indications that the "Pleasure to burn" campaign was started in 1999, but it looks like they have used retro imagery, which maybe gives the impression that the slogan is older.

How's this for a Bradbury/Camel crossover: "Pleasure to burn" with some Halloween imagery: http://www.wclynx.com/burntofferings/adsexotic_halloween.html

Phil
www.bradburymedia.co.uk

[This message has been edited by philnic (edited 10-14-2004).]

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad Ray never smoked, heehee.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
UncleEinar
Welcome, and good observation.

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Come to think of it, maybe it was just supposed to be a takeoff on an old expression, you know, "We have money" (or whatever else in plenty) "to burn."