Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    A Letter to All
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Letter to All
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
thormachine: You say you'd like to know what people who know Bradbury feel about this. Some have chosen not to dignify the assault on this site with responses. Others have posted positions. You have chosen to rant on and not listen. Your choice, of course, but it's tough to learn when you're always right and always pushing. This may surprise you, but pushing is not the best way to gather information. If you sat back and quietly and objectively read the posts, you would have a sense of how Bradbury and those who know him feel. Sam Weller (personal friend and official biographer fo Ray) posted after talking directly with Ray about this. Did you bother to read that post? If you did, then you know Bradbury's response. But then, it is pretty clear that the majority of the Pro-Moore faction ranting and raving out here are not interested in hearing any voice but their own.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oh yes its quite clear that oyu Mr. Dark are such a great person....and there is no way that you are at all at fault in the realm of hot air blowing.....

yeah right,
look at almost every post you have made in regards to the questions of the outraged new posters....they are condescending and elitist and they are the reason why i get angry and use language....

much unlike pterran who decided to (after a bit of nastiness) actually ask me questions and got answers for it.....instead of bookishly sputtering at my posts....

Posts: 70 | Location: US | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tell you what. You answer questions or issues I've put out there to you , and I'll be happy to answer questions or issues from you.

Additionally, did you read ANY of my earlier posts? In this thread alone, you said you'd like to hear from people who know Bradbury to get his position. You first implied that none of us know Bradbury. I responded to that, and you've ignored my post.

When I asked you if you personally know Moore (as you were implying none of us can speak to this unless we know Bradbury -- unfortunately for your argument, many of us do) you have yet to respond. Based on your own implications, how can you speak to this issue if you know NEITHER Bradbury nor Moore?

What have I ignored reasoned positions you have posted? When you do the research, and object to Bradbury's REAL position (rather than some exagerrated fabrication of his position), you'll get a civil response from me. When you continue to mis-characterize his position, and slam his character, and ignore the multitude of clarifications that have been posted here, you don't have the right to engage in reasoned discussion. All I've seen from you are mischaracterizations and attacks.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thormachine,

Sorry if you took any of my posts as nasty. (Gee. I've never been characterized as that before. Makes me sound tough. )

But why not follow Mr. Dark's suggestions and let's really debate? Could be fun.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thormachine:

About your inquiry if anyone here on the board actually knows Ray, well...
...I actually know Ray.

First met him in 1970 when he bought me lunch at an outdoor cafe a block down from his office on Wilshire, in Los Angeles. But I had been corresponding with him before that.

In between the years, many times just knocking on his door unannounced and welcomed in. Bumping into him on the street and talking was we walked. Getting together with friends at someone's house. Invited to his home and sitting around with friends and family during the first night telecast of 'The Martian Chronicles' on TV. What a treat!

Last time I saw Ray was at his home in March of this year, 2004. And we talked for awhile on a variety of topics, including what he thought about predestination as expounded in the book of Ephesians, chapter 1, in scripture. See, a wide variety of things.

Since his wife of 50 plus years passed away recently, it's been tough on him. But he has a large family of four daughters and many grandchildren.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray acknowledges me with "known you for years," so I guess he counts me as a friend. We've corresponded for 24 years by mail and phone, but I've met him personally only twice, once at his house and once at a play of his, both in June of 2003. One of the best things he ever said to me was "you know me very well"--so if that's not a recommendation of knowing him, I don't know what is.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm new to the forum, though I've "lurked" for many moons. I'm responding here with some of what I wrote on another topic, to wit: I've loved Ray Bradbury since I was a boy. I had the privilege of hearing
him speak and meeting him. One thing one is left with after the talks he
used to give is a greater love of whatever one loved before, as well as
a greater appreciation of others and of life in general - not a bad legacy.
As to knowing a man, isn't one's art the way artists choose to make themselves known to the world? As a singer, musician and graphic artist, I find communicting via these media more satisfying and illuminating than other forms of social interaction that are usually thought of as "getting to know" someone. Anyway, I was pleased, nay, moved by Lance's missive, and hope this particular thread will re-ravel into what began as an appreciation of a truly great artist.
Live forever, Ray!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A wonderful true sentiment.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post