Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    "Zen and the art of writing"

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Zen and the art of writing"
 Login/Join

posted
This slim book by RDB - a collection of essays on writing - played a very important role in my decision to start writing.
Whatever the results will be, the process is a reward in itself.
RDB's ability to make wonders possible shines not only in his fiction...

Posts: 1 | Registered: 13 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep a copy of Zen In The Art of Writing close at hand. The life of an aspiring writer is perilous, beset on all sides by doubt, guilt and self loathing. Zen should be mandatory for all who dare step into the minefield--those who write genre fiction and the self proclaimed writers of serious fiction. You are a constant companion Mr. Bradbury--a hand to hold in the dark places.

Karl Robson

Posts: 2 | Location: London | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Zen, but I've read it too many times.Red Face It got me started on my story "The Salt Murders", and it inspires me. Thank you, Mr. Bradbury, for writing it.

A writer needs three things:
1) Imagination
2) Persistence
3) The ability to keep their mouth shut

Posts: 6 | Location: On my computer. Obviously | Registered: 28 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Airsurfer,

I am wondering about your comments posted May 28th. The third point of your three point list has me scratching my head. Would you care to explain?

I will read Zen 100 times before I tire of it.

KR

Posts: 2 | Location: London | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's in my signature. It's supposed to be a joke, really. I've had the same sort of signature on another forum.
Yeah, I tend to wear books out in my head if I read them too much.

A writer needs three things:
1) Imagination
2) Persistence
3) The ability to keep their mouth shut

Posts: 6 | Location: On my computer. Obviously | Registered: 28 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I have the same problem. I've red his book "Zen in the art of writing" too many times. Five or so Razzer. But what happens is I can almost quote the next five or six lines as I'm reading. Which makes me feel, that while it's a good book, it should spend a little time on the shelf.

Posts: 44 | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post