Ray Bradbury Forums
Theatre Of The Absurd

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6791083901/m/5851027901

01 June 2003, 05:29 AM
RAINTASTER
Theatre Of The Absurd
This Week I Found Three News Articles That Are Just Way Too Cool To Not Share With The Class.

1) Biologist, Funded By The Government, Are Developing Plants That Will Change Color When They Detect Any Chemical Or Biological Agent. They Can Even Make Algae That Will Change Color. Their Goal Is To Eventually Have A Plant In Every U.S. Household. A Canary In A Coalmine Type O'Thing.

2)In St. Paul, Minn. Activist Mel Duncan Is Selling "Peace Bonds" To Fund His Fledgling "Nonviolent Peaceforce" Organization. The "Peace Bonds" Sell For $10 Each And Have No Monetary Value, But Promise "Nonviolent Conflict Intervention Around The World".
The Story Reminds Me Of A Deep Space Nine Episode Where Quark Quotes A Specific Farenghi Law Of Acquisition, "War Is Good For Business" Followed By The Next Law Of Acquisition, "Peace Is Good For Business".

3) In A Scene In The Movie "Bruce Almighty", God Leaves A Number On Jim Carrey's Pager. People Across The Nation Are Now Calling This Number. Phones Are Ringing Off The Hook At A Radio Station In Colorado, A Church In N.Carolina And Private Residences In Florida And Georgia. Hollywood Usually Uses A Bogus Prefix To Avoid This Kind Of Thing, But Not This Time. Why? Publicity Stunt?
I'd Assume Some Of These People Calling God Are Just Pranksters, Some Are Just Curious, Some Are Just Geeking-Out As Any Fanatical Movie Geek Would Geek, And Sadly There's Probably Some Who've Given Up On Prayer And Hope Against All Hope That God Really Will Pick Up. It's That Final Group Of People That REALLY Need A Group Hug. Personally, I Think www.raybradbury.com Is God's Phone Number.

4) USA Today Reported On Wednesday, According To A Poll, Just One In Three Americans Believe News Organizations Get The Facts Straight. I Dispute Those Findings.