Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    dandelion wine

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

dandelion wine
 Login/Join

posted
My mom went to the library and got Dandelion Wine for me when I was in the 8th grade. (It had been her sister's favorite book back in Russia). I gazed over a few pages, shrugged, and let it rest for a few years. When I read it again during my 2nd year of high school, I was fascinated. I found myself discovering life right along with Doug Spaulding. The book made me really think about time, friendships, family, love, life. Since then I've made copies of Dandelion Wine birthday presents for all of my closest friends. :-)

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to go to Bradbury's discussion and book signing in Santa Monica. There are a few pictures here if anyone is interested: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287892547

I also made a wallpaper, inspired by the book: http://www.geocities.com/sonya_sobko/wine.jpg

If you haven't read DW yet, I strongly suggest it!

Posts: 4 | Location: los angeles, ca, usa | Registered: 21 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hey,
i tried to go to those sites but nothing happened.

Posts: 5 | Location: usa | Registered: 25 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same here--the first one said it was a "forbidden site," and the second said, "This page is unavailable."

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
same results..

Posts: 248 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah eek geocities got mad at me for "improperly publicizing my website". try to copy the address into your browser instead of using the link and it should work!

geocities. com / sonya_sobko / wine. jpg

Posts: 4 | Location: los angeles, ca, usa | Registered: 21 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sonya,

OK, at least I could reach the page of your lovely wall paper through:

geocities.com/sonya_sobko/wine.jpg

Great job!

[This message has been edited by celsius233 (edited 03-27-2004).]

Posts: 25 | Location: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And at least one picture of Ray - he holds BRADBURY STORIES at Barnes&Noble signing ceremony...

Copy and paste the following:

imagestation.com/album/?id=4287892547

[This message has been edited by celsius233 (edited 03-27-2004).]

Posts: 25 | Location: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you!!

posted Hide Post
Hey, on the episode of "Green Acres" TV Land aired on Tuesday, Oliver Wendell Douglas was going to send his hired man, Eb, to college. Haney, the huckster, came over trying to sell him an outdated "college kit" including a Stutz bearcat (it did have a car phone--didn't seem to work, though--not surprising, as the Douglases have to climb a pole to use their phone--), raccoon coat, ukelele, and hip flask containing "genuine non-alcoholic dandelion wine." Had to laugh for several reasons you can probably guess, but I'll explain anyhow:
--hearing any mention of a title of Ray's in a TV show. I wonder if it was intentional, as he could have put any number of things in the flask.
--the items were all from the 1920s--the era of "Dandelion Wine."
--wasn't the guy who played Haney in the Alfred Hitchcock version of "The Jar"?
The suit Eb chose was also outdated--looked like something right out of "The Waltons"--very cute!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another funny thing, of course, was Haney's identifying the beverage as "non-alcoholic." To understand this it helps to have just a smidgen of winemaking knowledge. Someone told me once that getting the balance for dandelion wine right is very difficult and if it isn't done just so, it turns into something like white lightning! So Haney saying it was "non-alcoholic" either shows his ignorance or his assumption of Oliver's ignorance. Anyway, got a good laugh for a number of different reasons!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a "Dandelion Wine" reference, but another "Green Acres" one. At the beginning of the episode aired Thursday, Lisa went to collect the eggs and found each one labeled with a credit--produced by, written by, directed by, and so on. A cute way to display the credits, but of course you know what Bradbury story immediately sprang to my mind--"The Inspired Chicken" Motel/Bungalow Resort!

posted Hide Post

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post