Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Bradbury and Buster

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury and Buster
 Login/Join

posted
Here is a super trivia question for those diehard Bradbury fans who have read everything of Ray's and remember it. Was Buster Keaton ever mentioned by Ray in any context? (Bonus: did they ever meet in real life and how did they get along?)

We all know Ray's early love for horror films and his Laurel and Hardy stories. Ray was devoted to L & H even to the point of being instrumental in getting the music box steps marked although Ray is notably not much on historic preservation. I can think of at least two Chaplin references--in the short story "To the Chicago Abyss" and novel Dandelion Wine; I'm sure there are others.

Keaton's early costar Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle comes up in frequent mentions as a favorite of Ray's. Since Arbuckle's career ended when Ray was only one, presumably they continued to run his films after he stopped making them. (I checked Internet Movie Database and it seems Arbuckle resumed making films after the 1921 scandal until his death in 1933, so perhaps Ray saw some of those.)

But did he ever mention Keaton in any context--fiction, poetry, interviews? If so, where, and what did he say? Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there are prize for anwering this? Big Grin

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
But did he ever mention Keaton in any context--fiction, poetry, interviews? If so, where, and what did he say? Thanks.

I think Buster used to buy newspapers from him when he worked Norton Street.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Is there are prize for anwering this? Big Grin

What did you have in mind?

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
I think Buster used to buy newspapers from him when he worked Norton Street.

So kewl if true! More details, please! I need details!

posted Hide Post
quote:

No details. That's just what I heard.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

No details. That's just what I heard.

Yes, it's on page 89 of Sam's book. Was just hoping for more.

posted Hide Post
According to my best-informed source, all Ray says is he liked Keaton but preferred Harold Lloyd.

posted Hide Post
quote:
According to my best-informed source, all Ray says is he liked Keaton but preferred Harold Lloyd.

Lloyd was my second-favourite, after Chaplin. Buster comes in at number three!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
I tried to find a picture of Keaton with a Halloween theme. This is the best I could find - and you have to squint to be sure that it's really BK:

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Lloyd was my second-favourite, after Chaplin. Buster comes in at number three!

Well, at least some people here like the right things.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I tried to find a picture of Keaton with a Halloween theme. This is the best I could find - and you have to squint to be sure that it's really BK:

If the face isn't clear, the stance is familiar! That is from a film Buster did called Haunted House, which I have not seen but will soon. Harold Lloyd also did one called Haunted Spooks. Of course today the PC people would be after him for the S-word which just adds to the charm.