Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    AAAHH!!! Take Me Away, Ray
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AAAHH!!! Take Me Away, Ray
 Login/Join

posted
Todays headlines on my computer-

Iran's Hizbollah says ready to attack US, Israel

UN works on draft to curb Iran's nuclear ambitions

Rush-hour Mumbai stops to remember blast dead

World powers press Sudan on Darfur U.N. force

Aid agencies retreat from southern Afghan province

Israeli General Says Lebanon Offensive Will Last Weeks

U.N. Estimates Nearly 6,000 Iraqi Civilians Died in 2 Months

3 Arrested in Hospital Deaths After Katrina

Tsunami Toll Rises to 300 in Indonesia

Heat Wave Prevails Across Most of U.S.
=========================================

I just wanna crawl beneath the sheets and read a good, heartwarming story with a flashlight. I haven't watched the news in three weeks, or more, but right there on my homepage it hits me like a full-frontal assault of negativity and ill will.

Is the population going insane? Better me with the rest, than being of the few sane people in a mad, mad, mad world.

ALL ABOARD... We're going off the rails on a crazy train.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
grasstains:

Hezbollah (known as 'Defenders of God') said today on the news that they don't mind if they start World War III.

During the last week, important historians and political watchers are saying that the landscapes of things look exactly like a couple years before World War II.

Think about this:
Would this world be different if one lived forever? There's actually a possible/impossible answer. However, the whole world is today involved in a religious upheaval where an eternity is said to loom beyond death where existence is far more real. Look quickly! The zealot's vision of his faith collides with other visions of other faiths, while wars against heresies against his own faith, or insults against his god persist. Don't catch this, and you don't catch the basis for the turmoil. It's NOT oil. It's NOT property rights. It's culture. Like someone explained on TV the other day, "Look-out Hollywood, you are the first in the crosshairs!"

Don't hide under the blankets. Only darkness there...unless the batteries in the flashlight are long-lasting and it's a really fine book. The outside is getting dimmer! Surely required is that you yourself don't get caught unprepared.

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 07-18-2006).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hope you�re using good batteries. Politics? Like Steve McQueen said in �The Sand Pebbles�, �I don�t fool with it.� Me? I�m still waiting for that check from John Beresford Tipton.

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chapter 31

It's NOT about Politics. It's all one big Religious War. It just 'ain't' something else.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Nard, I know what time it is. Perhaps all we can do is take care of own little domiciles and those we share it with. Other than that... pray for the world, provide goodwill, cherish those around you, and think good, loving, compassionate thoughts. Thoughts of hatred only add to the simmering cauldron. Let's add a little ice.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, Chap!
I thought I saw Michael Anthony knocking on your door yesterday!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who is Michael Anthony?

posted Hide Post
"My name is Michael Anthony. And until his death just a few years ago, I was the executive secretary to the late John Beresford Tipton..."
http://timstvshowcase.com/millionaire.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Millionaire

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a cool idea for a TV show, especially considering that was so long ago. I'm surprised I've never heard of it, being a former TV junkie and trivia expert, because I can see it's influence on several other TV shows and/or motion pictures. I don't recall ever hearing it mentioned or referenced before.

I've been trying to delete much of that pop trivia from my hard drive in order to create memory space for new data. But still, useless things like Broderick Crawford, The "Palladin" song, Uncle Amis from THE BIG BLUE MARBLE, Mr. Green Jeans from CAPTAIN KANGAROO and Marriette Hartley's KODAK commercials are too embedded and still pop-up without warning. "Shut up, Brain, before I stab you with a Q-Tip. FOCUS!!!", and that's all the prodding Miss Hartley needs make her intrusion into my brain flow, which inevitably leads to James Garner, Jim Rockford, giant answering machines, Cliff Robertson, Charly, Willard, Michael Jackson' BEN, GENTLE BEN, GRIZZLY ADAMS, Dan Haggerty, Stacy Keach, Cheech and Chong, "Earache my eye!" and a whole truckload of related garbage spinning off in one direction. While Spock, Bones, The Spanish Inquisition, Mind-Melds, and other STAR TREK links take flight in another direction. Then Miss America, Bert Parks, "There She Is", bouquets, and for some reason Robin Givens branch off in yet another direction. Which of course leads to Howard Hesseman, Loni Anderson, Burt Reynolds, Dolly Parton, "The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas", Whitney Houston, Bobby Brown, "Every Little Step You Take", NEW EDITION, EARLY EDITION, NEWS OF THE WORLD, BBC, double-dutch busses, "Double-Dutch Bus"...... MAKE IT STOP!!!

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 07-19-2006).]

posted Hide Post
Zowie! Quite a TV-inspired stream-of-consciousness spate there.
One movie I'd love to see again with the "Millionaire" theme is "If I Had A Million". Great stories - some very funny, some very serious, and wonderful actors, including W.C. Fields. I wish more of his films were available! Here's a synopsis of the film: http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=A96233

posted Hide Post
That looks like an interesting film with an interesting premise. Wonder if Fields' bit was comic relief, or if he played it straight?

Couple of other midnight-shift-worker insomniac ponderings: grasstains, re your last entry, why do all those things hang around so long in memory? Is it unique to the radio/film/tv generations? What will the kids remember--video game details? Do I forget where I left the car keys because I've remembered too much Trek dialog?

Finally, there's a great interview with Ray linked from Resources on the other board--excellent photos, too. His zest for life is unmistakable, and it made me realize he probably has an appreciation for comedy and humor. I wonder who his favorite comedian is, then and now?

And, wouldn't it be great if the whole world could back down 2 or 3 notches and share a good laugh: not to negate the world's problems, but just to share some moments that might bring us together, instead of ripping us all apart. Geez, insomnia's wearing off, I must be dreaming.

Posts: 109 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fields is very funny in the above-mentioned film! E.g, in an early scene, his wife (Alison Skipworth) offscreen bellows "Rollo!!" Fields (Rollo) replies, "You chirped, my wren?"

posted Hide Post
I've always thought Bill Bixby was very underrated. He starred in some great TV shows. Does anyone remember his short-lived show from the mid-70s THE MAGICIAN, great stuff. He lived in a giant cargo plane and could drive his Corvette Stingray right up into the cargo bay. He also had big hits with MY FAVORITE MARTIAN, THE COURTSHIP OF EDDIE'S FATHER, and of course THE INCREDIBLE HULK. For some reason I always felt comfortable watching him. Like he was an old friend, or something. He was always believable.

posted Hide Post
Speaking of favorite TV programs, has anyone remembered that TODAY...on TV...37 years ago, we watched a man step on the moon for the first time?

posted Hide Post
...and 30 years to the day (July 20, 1976) Viking I landed on Mars and began sending back the first ever pictures of the surface of the planet. As it was descending a day earlier it sent back pictures of aerial views, one of which included that famous "face" on the surface of Mars.