Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Back and Kicking and Writing (because of Ray)

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back and Kicking and Writing (because of Ray)
 Login/Join

posted
I bought and read Zen in the Art of Writing last weekend, looking for some inspiration. You see, I was in sort of a slump with my writing and looking for a way to get those juices flowing again. I had read some reviews of Ray's book, and I thought it was about time that I went out and got it. Just like On Writing by Stephen King, this book put me back on my feet and sent me to Microsoft Word. I'm just hoping this "writng frenzy" will last longer than the one I got with King's book.

Ah well, if the frenzy (maybe constant muse)does die down all I need do is take the book of the shelf and read it again!

Has anyone had similar results?

You know something's wrong when the jellyfish calls you by name.

Posts: 8 | Location: Jersey | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The book inspires me to write, also. Come to think of it, I'd better get the danged thing out now!!!!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just thought I'd start anew!
Looking at my old world profile, I realized I first signed on and started communicating with many of you so well-informed admirers of RB back in 11-29-2001!! 735 posts. How much has gone on since then...

To address the question of inspired by Zen in the Art of Writing, it DID indeed keep me going, now maybe a month from publication of a three year work of research, writing, photos, and history. It (ZinW) kept me going and now I have a real appreciation for the essence of the "art" of writing. Though I have taught compostiton to countless students and done many articles and other shorter works, this has been a real challenge. I hope, when a few breaths have been taken and a chance to reconnoiter with some postponed projects has been afforded, it will carry over to a new work already in mind.

Once involved it rewards you, requires truthful reflection, is constantly demanding of time and patience, differs not much from an expected child, and ultimately - upon its arrival - makes you love what has been brought to the light of day.

Thus, I can only send congratulations on the grandest scale to Sam Weller. If Sam is here for a moment in his busy schedule: I hope you realize the gratitude we all feel for what you have so lovingly done. The best of critics may be right on this site. Rest assured you have all of our support for what will prove to be a tremendously successful release and promotion of your book. The fact that it has made Mr. Bradbury proud and pleased, says it all!

I will be in possession of my personal copy as soon as the 1st opportunity presents itself. fp

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp451,

are you fjpalumbo? Why did you change your ID? I wonder how many others decided to do this when migrating to the new board.

(If you're not fjpalumbo, please excuse my mistake!)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fj--Can you tell us a little about your upcoming book? I love to hear about all the writing projects people on this board are working on or have already completed.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil,
It is I! I just thought a new venue was a good time to change. We who know one another and are old friends can recognize one another's voices. For the newcomers it really makes no difference, and I really wasn't sure of the Big Brother Effect on this new platform, as far as names and locales. Good to be aboard!

Also, Phil, your site continues to be of great help during my RB units in SF distance learning course. Thanks!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FJP glad to hear you are still teaching! I am still in Interlibrary Loan, probably will be until
I retire. I am planning on picking up an old childrens story I wrote years ago, and fleshing it out again. I am now a full fledged "groupee" kinda gummed up my registration, but I am glad to be back in the mix.
I had another Librarian give me an old paperback of the Machineries of Joy a few weeks back. I had not read that since I was a teen years ago.
I donated all of my duplicate Bradbury paperbacks to the Middle School that my daughters have attended. Hey does anyone know when A Sound of Thunder is going to be released?
Uncle AGS

Posts: 49 | Location: Ogden, Utah. | Registered: 05 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FP what is your book about? Three years is a labor of Love. I am anxious to find out what you have put to print. Good Luck, and Best Wishes for a successful publication...

Posts: 49 | Location: Ogden, Utah. | Registered: 05 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your book and to everyone here who is writing AT ALL!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uncle, my best to you. Any more book projects for the youth in your area. I'd be glad to chip with the help of my students and take part in any way possible. "Good to see you!"

posted Hide Post
hey muse101 will you let us know how it goes?

Posts: 22 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for not replying in so long, but I've had many things to do and can only get onto the message boards every once in while. I haven't lost steam in my writing; in fact, what I'm working on now may be the best I've written.

I try to write at least a page every day, but many times I get to the end of the week and find that I've only managed to write three or four.

What are you guys' writing schedules or goals? (Just don't rub it in if I'm not writing as much as I should be Smiler )

You know something's wrong when the jellyfish calls you by name.

Posts: 8 | Location: Jersey | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've read "The Zen in the Art of Writing" several times, and it's probably one of my favorite books. The Word association bit has helped me write one story so far, and I hope it will give me more :). I wish he'd write another book that way I could get a little more help, or even just get to know him better (did anyone else notice how autobiographical his essays were?).

Posts: 44 | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, and many of his stories as well, i.e., the "Laurel and Hardy Love Affair," which he indicated to me "was about an old girlfriend" and is elaborated on in Sam Wellers' book.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post