Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Bradbury Moments
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury Moments
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Passed a bank clock today and the time was 4:00 while the temperature was 51 degrees Fahrenheit.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Synchronicity!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a moment today when a kid in a skeleton sweatshirt ran past a yard full of dandelions.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that is an RB Moment!!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelions everywhere! Children outside during their lunch break can be heard laughing and shouting from a playground at the parochial elementary school two blocks behind our home.
(My wife is there teaching p.e.)

An early morning lawn mower buzzes away down the street, as I recall having pushed our old manual mower for a few moments yesterday to clear around a supply of stacked firewood.
(Here's an RB 5/9 irony: http://inventors.about.com/lib...John_Albert_Burr.htm )

I may just pick up the story of Doug and Tom and start with page one. (This is the first time in many a year I have not shared Mr. B's classic novel with a classroom of students...)

posted Hide Post
So, the printer finishes its last bzzzzzz, click, phttt... and I gather in the two pages on their way to Mr. B thanking him for his interest expressed via a message from his very kind daughter related to my recent RB course.

I quickly opened my e-mail before departing for daily responsibilities that will have me on the road until later this eve. What do I find but a message (sent literally brief moments earlier) from a former English student, now librarian, whose message follows:

"I saw this article this morning and thought of you:"

http://www.theatlantic.com/ent...ed-by-snoopy/257478/

posted Hide Post
Found this page from the June 4, 2012, New Yorker on my side deck this evening: http://www.newyorker.com/repor...0604fa_fact_bradbury

No doubt, a friend who knew of my exchanges with Mr. B kindly left it. Had this been mentioned previously on the board? The date just a few before his passing!

Another "moment"! while going through some items stored in the back of our van, our older son found this image. I had used it in my classroom as a mainstay on my front bulletin board for many years. It was an enlarged photocopy upon which had been added (in bold, capital letter beneath the image) simply, "READ!!" http://www.justinstowell.com/w...04-at-6.28.04-PM.png

Thanks again and again and again, Mr, Bradbury...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Found this page from the June 4, 2012, New Yorker ...

The new Simon & Schuster paperback of TMC is sans "The Fire Balloons" Frowner
(But the cover, Mugnaini inspired, by Patrick Leger is wonderful.)
Seeing the article kind of makes up for it though. Something we can all appreciate about Ray Bradbury, is he had so many stories about the stories.
As fjp451 said
quote:
Thanks again and again and again, Mr, Bradbury...

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
...Had this been mentioned previously on the board? The date just a few before his passing!...

Yes, it was mentioned a couple of times (here's one: https://raybradburyboard.com/ev...207093616#9207093616 ) (and there was at least one other where I mentioned the title of the article).

Some folks have creatively linked this article and its title to Ray's death AND to the transit of Venus... all in very quick succession!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've also received my new Simon & Schuster editions of The Martian Chronicles, The Illustrated Man, and Fahrenheit 451. Only the last one is a hardcover, but if they issue the others in hardcover, I'll buy them yet again (I have 63 Bradbury books now, albeit with many duplications).

Linnl, you're right - the MC edition doesn't have "The Fire Balloons", but I don't mind, because the contents correspond exactly to the first edition.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
douglasSP, So far I've only purchased MC. Since it reflects the first edition, I'm guessing to find "The Fire Balloons" in the new pb of IM, if it also reflects its first edition.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by douglasSP:
...the contents correspond exactly to the first edition.

Does this mean the DATES in the book match the first edition? (Bradbury revised the dates some time in the '90s.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
philnic, The dates are the same as first edition.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linnl:
...The dates are the same as first edition.

I wonder why that is? The dates were revised to keep it all in the future, but now most of the books will have 'already happened'. (Let's see... AD 2012 must correspond to somewhere between "The Silent Towns" and "The Long Years" !)

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Yep, the dates are as in the first edition. I prefer it that way. the recalibrated dates from the 1997 edition would probably have become outdated as well.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post