Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Bradbury Moments
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury Moments
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
What Next!?

https://mars.nasa.gov/technolo...dynamic-performance/

A very memorable student in my HS English classes went on to play a highly significant role in the amazing advancements the Mars expeditions have realized throughout recent years. We enjoyed countless RB works, with Martian Chronicles a required reading. It was studied for its poetic style, imaginative projections, and far-reaching social commentaries.

A young man from a very small town, a hardworking family, and with a love for what he is doing: Mr. Bradbury would be pleased!
https://www.esquire.com/news-p...sity-interview-1212/

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp451, what a great story! Thanks for sharing it!

Posts: 2456 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read 96 pages of a book only to find a large section missing and another repeated. I ordered another copy and if that turns out to be all right I think for the first time in my life I'll put a book in the trash. The odd thing was it was ex-library with numerous due dates and no one seems to have complained of the defect. My nephew said to look on the bright side--in the universe of Fahrenheit 451, if I asked for a book I'd be burned alive!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion, that has happened to me twice!

On two occasions I ordered large short story anthologies, only to find pages missing or incomplete due to a binding error. Fortunately, in both cases, only one story of many was affected. And in one of the two cases I had the affected story in another book, anyway.

So frustrating, especially when you have the book imported with high shipping costs.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Alfred Hitchcock anthology where a binding error affected a novella but I'm keeping it as I don't intend to read that novella anyway. In that case a librarian made a note of it. In the case of the novel of course it affects the whole book and I wouldn't want to pass it on to anyone else.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is August. So, I have been enjoying some Dandelion Wine! I had just begun re-listening to the poetic narration of the Spauldings' lives and the events involving the wonderful folks of Green Town, Illinois (audio source - entire cassette collection from my teaching days).

Hot summer days have arrived at our North Country region.
Fireflies, wildflowers, bees, star-filled evening skies, early morning thunderstorms offering plenty of nourishment for lawns that need regular mowing.

With rains quite intense over the past few days, our lawn had been needing some special attention, I must admit. So, with the summer sun pushing the thermometer reading to the mid-90s, I set out with large garden hat on my head and carefully mowed the lawn.

When I was done, some cold cider was my reward along with the fine appearance the lawns all around the house now held.

Moments later, I retreated down into our cellar where it was quite cool and started a few tasks which needed some time at my work bench. I powered up the stereo and slipped in the next D.W. cassette that awaited listening:

Chapter 12: https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/dandelion/section4/

Mr. Bradbury Lives Forever!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Final page just read:

He shut his eyes.
June dawns, July noons, August evenings over, finished, done, and gone forever with only the sense of it all left here in his head. Now, a whole autumn, a white winter, a cool and greening spring to figure sums and totals of summer past. And if he should forget, the dandelion wine stood in the cellar, numbered huge for each and every day. He would go there often, stare straight into the sun until he could stare no more, then close his eyes and consider the burned spots, the fleeting scars left dancing on his warm eyelids; arranging, rearranging each fire and reflection until the pattern was clear. . . .
So thinking, he slept.
And, sleeping, put an end to Summer, 1928.
~~~~~~~~~

Once again! Thanks, Mr. Bradbury

posted Hide Post
"If you dream the proper dreams, and share the myths with people, they will want to grow up to be like you." ~ Ray Bradbury

Nicole Brancato did just that.....

https://www.sfcv.org/articles/...-illustrated-pianist

posted Hide Post
MANY HOURS of Ray Bradbury Moments!

Enjoy.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVTeksyUl9g

posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this treasure trove fjp! Fantastic indeed, in both senses of the word: imaginative and superb. It's great to hear Ray in his prime, reading his own work.

Just listened to first reading, "The Lake" but found it moving. Every year after Labor Day my wife and I go for a long walk along Lake Michigan. We have many memories, going back to our respective childhoods, of times spent at that shore. This year I couldn't do it because of Lyme Disease, but in a vicarious way I feel as if I did make it to the lake after all, through Ray's unforgettable artistry.

Again, thank you for this 'fantastic' post fjp.

Greetings to you, and to all other Bradbury people.

Walt

"Stay on the Path."
Travis in: A Sound of Thunder

Posts: 21 | Location: A town still green in Illinois | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Walt, your kind words are much appreciated! The references you make to "The Lake" truly reflect the ties readers across the USA, as well as around our entire Planet Earth, have been united by via the wonderful writings and generous personality of Mr. Bradbury.

During my thirty-five+ year tenure of teaching literature to youth and adults, I shared hundreds of pieces of RB works (essays, poems, stories, novels, plays). Yet, the most amazing thing about these experiences was witnessing the long enduring effect they had on each reader's outlook on life, and gratefuly my own. The joy, humor, hope, reminiscence, terror, wonder, dreams, sadness, learning, and reflection his writings offer us are unique across all genres. They remain close to our hearts from youth and well into our adult years.

Your "Stay on the Path" allusion is priceless! What great advice in any realm. But in a Ray Bradbury story....such a brief comment always carried a major outcome that his characters -and readers- should have carefully considered. In the summer of 2019 we walked the Ravine in Waukegan, Ill. I was so pleased to sense the "real chills" that he wrote about in his Summer of 1928 Dandelion Wine episodes.

Now, as the leaves change across our rural neighborhoods and nearby Adirondacks, very cool afternoons and evenings have arrived. We will once again dress our front lawn oak with pumpkins so that kids will have a Halloween Tree to enjoy each time the stroll or bicycle by!

https://consequence.net/wp-con....jpg?resize=1031,580

posted Hide Post
Thanks for your good words fjp. And bravo for having shared your comprehensive understanding of RB and his works with generations of students. I learned from your message here so I now consider myself one of your adult distant-learning students! Thank you.

That pumpkin-adorned oak tree of yours must be a great fascination for kids (of all ages) in your neighborhood. Ray would undoubtedly approve.

Best wishes,
Walt

"Stay on the Path."
Travis in: A Sound of Thunder

Posts: 21 | Location: A town still green in Illinois | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe people could post pictures.

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
After a quick perusal of names, dates, and comments offered by friends of Mr. Bradbury here on the site throughout the years, a mere touch of a button and I travelled back in time 20+ years. Although there was no Sound of Thunder in my brief journey, I did have many recollections of memorable acquaintances from around the globe who shared ideas, inspirations, and gratitudes related to Ray Bradbury, one of the Literary World's most influencial authors!

Though I have stayed on the path precisely twenty years, I continue to enjoy and to learn with each step placed down. So, as a new year approaches, "Thanks" to those still visitng and those who shared their RB insights and interests, but alas, are no longer with us. All Be well! Peace!