Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Bradbury Moments
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury Moments
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
This Internet Archive Link should keep All who are interested enjoying many "RB Moments" in the coming New Year of 2022.

https://archive.org/search.php?query=RAY%20BRADBURY

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My fondest memories of my childhood while growing up in a small town ~ very much like Green Town ~ are of the cool spring mornings that soon became hot summer afternoons and working in our family gardens side-by-side with my Dad! The entire neighborhood was filled with large gardens that grew everything from asparagus to zucchini. Between each garden was a well-defined footpath that located and separated individual plots of land, all of which measured about an acre behind each family home. There were no fences, for everyone respected and to some degree assisted with the planting and havesting of relatives' and neighbors' crops throughout each growing season.

So, as warmer weather finally arrived in far NNY, I went out to purchase items at a nearby garden and supply shop. Since the establishment is privately owned by a local family and has expanded its supplies quite well in recent years, a television crew was arriving to do a special news item on the success of this fine business.

As a young lady was about to get things started, I simply offerred her a quick "Hello!" since her station outlet was located in the original hometown of my youth. (With teaching and growth of our family, we relocated an hour from there many years ago!)

I offered her my greeting indicating she was probably a person who knew my hometown well, and I wished her safe travels following the interview. She smiled brightly, and I proceeded to enjoy walking about the many greenhouses, picked up a several more plants, and then departed to load everything into my car.

Since I could still see her through the windows of the shop, I waved to the young lady wishing to express best wishes as I departed. When I opened the door of my car, ready to leave, she exited the garden shop. Microphone and clipboard in hand, walking directly toward me, and still smiling. She approached and asked, "Can I ask you question?!"

I responded pleasantly, now realizing we had somehow spoken before today!!

""Are you, Mr. -------, my English teacher? You are! Aren't you!?" The young lady's face had actually been familiar to me from our earlier first exchange. Names and faces become difficult to match after years out of the classroom, especially when teens becoming young adults and often parents themselves!

Once she shared her name, it all made sense! She had been a fine student and athlete and had gone on to became an English Teacher. Imagine! She immediately informed me, "One of my most enjoyable literature units to teach was The Illustrated Man collection by Ray Bradbury!"

She vividly recalled the letters and artwork we sent to Mr. Bradbury and the many gifts he always sent back our way. For a couple of years, she actually taught at "our" same high school and used my classroom library of Ill. Man and other RB titles.

During recent years, her English and Media degrees led her into her writing and reporting profession. I am quite sure we will meet again, as she has remained close to her own small hometown and now travels the region for community centered specials like the one that allowed us to so pleasantly touch bases once again.

"Thank you, Mr. Bardbury!"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I listened to Richard's link to "The Screaming Woman" broadcasted on Suspense Radio. Classic scary, late-night listening.

After some research on RB scary night presentations, I felt this site just had to be shared: Bradbury Thirteen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmFCekbzq7g

It starts with the always nerve-racking "Ravine!"
(Ah! those nearby sewing scissors. How fortunate!)
...and follows with nearly 12 Hours of unforgettable "Bradbury Moments!"

Enjoy!!
The Ravine
Night Call, Collect
The Veldt
There Was An Old Woman
Kaleidoscope
Dark They Were And Golden Eyed
The Screaming Woman
A Sound Of Thunder
The Man
The Wind
The Fox and The Forest
Here There Be Tygers
The Happiness Machine

posted Hide Post
Speaking of Bradbury moments! Great memories of sitting in the dark with my dear friend listening to those!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“The autumn leaves blew over the moonlit pavement in such a way as to make the girl who was moving there seem fixed to a sliding walk, letting the motion of the wind and the leaves carry her forward. The trees overhead made a great sound of letting down their dry rain.”

It has begun in our rural northern region......

https://parade.com/.image/c_li...tumn-quotes-jpg.webp

posted Hide Post
Visiting a small hamlet along the river a couple of days ago, I just had to stop in to see their small library located near the village harbor. A young man greeted me, and we conversed for just a few moments before our conversation turned to Ray Bradbury.

The young librarian had grown up, attended school locally, worked in his famliy grocery store, and helped at the library, where his mom was Librarian. After college, he returned to live in a nearby village where he presently does computer tech work. So, why was he caring for the library?

He commented that his time in the library as a child gave him a personal "love of having a book in my hands!", versus the omni-present screens and phones-in-hands with which students are now raised and taught. (?!) He now serves as needed and as schedules allow. When I told him of my teaching background, he promptly asked if Fahrenheit 451 was included on my booklist.... Our discussion then went in several RB directions!

So, I may revisit the library for an RB presentation in the coming weeks!

posted Hide Post
This classic video documentary "Story About a Writer," from 1963, really offers incredible insights into Mr. Bradbury's visions, inspirations, ambitions, warnings, while also sharing samples of his amazing narrations. "Dial Double Zero," and the book Thinking Machines - being read by Tom, the main character, is what we are experiencing today, more than a half century later.

Scenes of Mr. Bradbury's story-telling to his young daughters are priceless. His personal comments about ambition, working hard, and "love of what you do" remained powerfully consistent throughout his life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zHa_udIU9o

posted Hide Post
Ever since our now world-travelling sons were just toddlers, we have entertained them and youngsters of the neighborhood with autumn decorations set amongst the limbs of our front lawn oak tree. Orange and purple lights, many dangling tiny fresh pumpkins, and numerous lit jacko-lanterns are now peering out toward all evening strollers along our quiet, small village avenue. The tree's colorfull leaves add to the mix! Each sunset, we flip the switch.....

Not nearly to this level of "Awe!" but still much fun nonetheless!
https://149352626.v2.pressable...nting-1-1024x575.jpg

posted Hide Post
HAPPY ALL HALLOWS!

https://m.media-amazon.com/ima...BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

posted Hide Post
So, this has to do with several "delicious" RB Moments over the past 24 hours! It has to do with the "Peach Kuchen" recipe Richard shared via Mr. Bradbury's delightful offering in THE GREAT AMERICAN WRITERS' COOKBOOK.

I must admit, on a couple of follow-up visits to the fridge for another slice, I just happened to recall there was recently purchased Butter-Pecan ice cream container in the freezer... Mr. Bradbury must have been smiling!
I was back in Green Town, relaxed and sitting on the front porch on a pleasant, quiet evening.

Now, my wife has officially delegated this as my responsibility for many future re-bakes! Definitely plan on a fine family treat as your Christmas desserts approach:
https://raybradburyboard.com/ev...1083901/m/6107014996

(Our peaches -freshly frozen- came directly from a small village orchard located in the Finger Lakes Region this past harvest season.)
https://fingerlakesfarmcountry...market-2/2021-09-18/

posted Hide Post
My boyhood hometown while growing up is a ninety minute drive from our home for the past many years where we raised our family and now continue to garden, work with youth, and shovel our driveway clear of many feet of snow.

Today, I received a call from a friend from my youthful stomping grounds who still frequents the beautiful library we all visited every Saturday, during those now memorable years, when we were not in school. My friend informed me he had spoken with a young lady who has been a member of the staff for a while now but had not met previously.

A few minutes into the conversation, the topic of "Ray Bradbury" arrived. (Years ago my friend and I would travel for educational commitements to colleges and school districts that required long drives. A hot cup of coffee and listening to cassette tapes - Remember those? - were typical routines during our journeys that often took us into nearby Adirondack Mt. regions. Westerns, sci fi, old radio shows, and "countless" Ray Bradbury short stories entertained us - especially on the return drives to our homes late at night.)

So, the Librarian began to speak of her own reading interests and the experiences that brought her to be so involved with Books. She then mentioned her HS alma mater. It was the school at which I taught throughout my classroom career. He brought my name up and, sure enough, she was one of my former students. She went on to detail her love of English studies, especially "Ray Bradbury!" This began when she was a teenager who had to read Dandelion Wine, F451, Illustrated Man, Something Wicked, and RB short stories of all types. She also very much enjoyed our studies in classic mythology, and novels of wide-ranging interests. She commented, "We were reading from the first day in class until the final day in June."

Ironically, our school is precisely mid-point to my home now and the location of this young lady's rewarding daily duties of helping visitors who are looking for just the right book to open! RB is always at the top of the list!

I have already reached out to the library to visit with her when next I return to the "Greentown" of my youth. Thank you, Mr. Bradbury!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/w..._Flower_Memorial.jpg

posted Hide Post
Dandelion flowers now cover lawns throughout our quiet neighborhood. Soon-to-be summer gardens are being brought out of their autumn through winter deep sleeps. Grape vines are showing their very first signs of interest in the warmer temperatures accompanying our longer days which have finally arrived.

So many Ray Bradbury tales come to mind as seasons approach, visit for a while, and then, once again, make their departures. Reading Mr. Bradbury's works during my own youth, teaching hundreds of his works, sharing them continually with our young sons - with bed-time readings and teen-year exchanges, now still recalling them in their vibrant years as far-traveling professional gentlemen, how fortunate we have all been!

The sounds and sights and emotions in Mr. Bradbury's works stay with his readers. They arrive sometimes profoundly and at other times very subtly. Yet, his metaphors abound and should be appreciated as precisely as the coming and going of each season. And with that, I am headed to the garden to speak with the earliest plants, welcome back the bees, and be surprised by our cat, who will at some point mysteriously appear, while I am preparing the soil for those most treasure days of August!

Thank you, Mr. Bradbury!

posted Hide Post
Mr. Bradbury's impact on several generations of readers has been vital in helping to keep individuals informed by way of their constant attention to what is actually taking place versus what they are being told by the Fireman of Day.

Writings by Mr. Bradbury have offered timeless images, humor, criticism, foretelling, reflections, and wonder. The following classic "Conversation" would readily inspire today's parents and classroom teachers to delve deeper into his works and, thus, to share in the timeless creativity we still comment on in ongoing RB Forum exchanges:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzD0YtbViCs

posted Hide Post
Here is a 1974 interview Mr. Bradbury shared with James Day, an American public television station and network executive and on-air interviewer. He speaks so eloquently of many classic RB topics that his readers, young and old alike, will enjoy hearing described in this video. From Mr. Electrico to Man's Ventures into the Universe, his narration offers precise insights into his philosophies, motivations, and hopefulness.

This aired nearly a half century ago! This generation needs such ambitious explanations added to its view of what can be! When he speaks of the authors he read and learned from as a child and young writer, I am so grateful to have shared all of them with students for many years. Though I realize times and interests will always change, I am concerned the pages of these timeless authors may not be getting turned in today's classrooms... (I 'd be pleased to hear otherwise from visiting educators who stop by the RB Forums!)

https://www.google.com/search?...ceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

posted Hide Post
I do not speak, nor do I understand the Russian Language. However, I just skimmed through the Vino iz oduvanchikov ~ Dandelion Wine ~ movie produced by Igor Apasyan, in 1997.

If you take a few minutes to scan through the following video, you will get a rather pleasant appreciation of the care and understanding Mr. Apasyan had for the story, its moods, the characters, and the interactions the story possesses from start to finish. The settings seem precise and the personalities have a familiar flow with the tale Mr. Bradbury created, though the actors are from a culture quite distant from Green Town. Illinois, USA.

Is there a version of this with the subtitles available!? (It was done in episodes.). Any other information on this film would be appreciated.

* Dandelion Wine must find a home upon the Big Screens of American Cinema!

Enjoy RE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkCGqRvkFos