Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Bradbury Moments
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury Moments
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
This sparks one's knowledge of "The City!"

http://www.smh.com.au/world/re...-20130614-2o9ds.html

...and if you watched the entire video, how about applying this technology on the Red Planet?! (If not already in use!)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enjoy some July 4th pyrotechnics from your front porch with family and friendly neighbors, a la Summer in Green Town:
http://www.lovethesepics.com/w...y-fireworks-flag.jpg

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a "Bradbury Moment" this morning while driving to work. I had just gotten gas yesterday at a different station than last time, and my car seemed to be running a bit better - quite smoothly in fact. Pondering the different additives that this brand versus that may put into their product, I had a grain of a story blossom in my head... Might Ray have written something like this?
From the depths of the well hole, a creature is disturbed by the concussive force of water and slippery fluids that explode the rock trapping it. It finds it way up the hole and into the tank, and eventually into YOUR gas tank. One day, you get up and start the drive to work normally, but the beast is curious. It has been locked away for however long and decides to take a road trip - with you in the car. It drives first to El Paso, then through Albuquerque to Phoneix. The dry desert stretches on and on...
I can almost picture the descriptive words that Bradbury would have used to describe the beast, the bewilderment and perhaps fear of the driver, and the various terrains that the tires traverse.

Posts: 1 | Location: Texas | Registered: 12 July 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lalaluu:
I had a "Bradbury Moment" this morning while driving to work. I had just gotten gas yesterday at a different station than last time, and my car seemed to be running a bit better - quite smoothly in fact. Pondering the different additives that this brand versus that may put into their product, I had a grain of a story blossom in my head... Might Ray have written something like this?
From the depths of the well hole, a creature is disturbed by the concussive force of water and slippery fluids that explode the rock trapping it. It finds it way up the hole and into the tank, and eventually into YOUR gas tank. One day, you get up and start the drive to work normally, but the beast is curious. It has been locked away for however long and decides to take a road trip - with you in the car. It drives first to El Paso, then through Albuquerque to Phoneix. The dry desert stretches on and on...
I can almost picture the descriptive words that Bradbury would have used to describe the beast, the bewilderment and perhaps fear of the driver, and the various terrains that the tires traverse.

Sounds like the first draft is ready.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1yr. ~ so this would make it truly "Rocket Summer":

http://www.nytimes.com/interac...er-tracker.html?_r=0

Thank you, Mr. Bradbury!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
...this would make it truly "Rocket Summer"...

Did you zoom out of that picture, fjp? See how much of Mars there is left to explore?

No wonder Curiosity hasn't found that hot dog stand yet.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, I may have mentioned this here once long ago.

A former student of mine was instrumental in the design and development of the original landing module that allowed the first Rover to eventually creep around on the Red Planet. He and his team incorporated the air bag landing device that bounced its way along the surface: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyktvC7w7Js

I have often thought of sending him a signed Martian Chronicles in congratulations for his success as a interplanetary scientist. I can only wonder if some of those early RB tales we did had any influence on his career?!

posted Hide Post
Mr. Bradbury would have called in William Stendahl (Usher II) to deal with this one:
http://www.nydailynews.com/new...ad-article-1.1460319

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Mr. Bradbury would have called in William Stendahl (Usher II) to deal with this one:
http://www.nydailynews.com/new...ad-article-1.1460319

Really sad turn.
We should call-up Mr. Pikes too.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
I love old things
Streets of old cities crowded with ghosts
I love old photos inside of old trunks in the attics of old homes
I love old things
Weather-beaten, worn things, cracked, broken, torn things
The old sun, the old moon, the old earth’s face
I love old books frayed from the searching of truth-hungry fingers
Old things tell me of the past
But I know I must move on
They hold a place within my heart
And I'll never be alone

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug, your poetic verse struck close to home. Though not a Green Town youth, I did "very similarly" run in fields, climb trees, throw and hit balls, swim ponds, follow paths- some in bright sunshine others in late evening shadows, eat green apples, skin knees, and so much more - exactly as found upon the treasured pages of Dandelion Wine.

In my years of teaching, I always felt privileged to have such a wonderful opportunity to read aloud such beautiful passages of youth, growing up, and passing away. Thank you Mr. Bradbury!

Enjoy ~ This was my Home Town:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...bedded&v=bn6WvULu8EU

posted Hide Post
Perhaps the only eight-year old cub scout who carried 'The Martian Chronicles' everywhere, at least at that particular corner of South America. I would dream all day of golden-eyed strange people and of ancient silver books, of Poe and 'Beautiful Ohio' and endured the nostalgia of a place and time that was eerily familiar and yet I had never really seen.
Much later I wrote to him, to thank him. And he wrote back. Twice.
When the former future dates on the book became present time in my life, I found myself married to a Beautiful Ohioan, living in an Americana little town which could well be Green Bluff, IL in the fifties... one day she saw the opportunity and said, let's go to Los Angeles, this one is your chance to get to meet Mr Bradbury. And so, with no small sacrifice and risk, we did. I gave him the Borges translation and a book of short fiction my father had written, inspired by his great fantasy. He thanked me and signed my copy of his collected short stories and I shook his hand, which seemed enormous to me. And I was able to thank him for my dreams and the small, beautiful accomplishments they brought.
I am so glad we went to see him ~ another lifelong dream finally became real.
That was my Bradbury moment.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Captain Wilder,

Posts: 29 | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"F451 "I take it,they have finally read the book:
http://www.defenseone.com/tech.../74285/?oref=d-river

posted Hide Post
The following link was sent to me from a participant in a few of my RB seminars. Sent as a "Best Wishes Merry Christmas" journey, I now forward to all on the board as a Happy New Year gesture!

How many timeless RB Space Stories come to mind when one views the scenes and looks toward Earth from the International Space Station?!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/doN4t5NKW-k

Enjoy! Good Health in 2014!