Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Bradbury Moments
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury Moments
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
My uncle was watching NCIS: Naval Criminal Investigative Service while I was working on one of my Bradbury art projects. The episode was "Rekindled" (2012). Here is a synopsis. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2257689/synopsis One character asked another (Jason, I believe), how he got into fire investigation, "Too many late nights of watching Fahrenheit 451?" I had to LOL.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today brought a late, hot summer afternoon to our relatively quiet rural neighborhood. Kids getting ready to return to school several days from now. August chores being caught up as the sun continues to glide quicker to the horizon and evenings become noticeably cooler.

A few hours ago behind the house there was a serious beating of rugs!!
Dandelion Wine...Dandelion Wine...Dandelion Wine!!!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some classic RB scenes from his timeless works:
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/...cturing-ray-bradbury

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know this was shared several months ago; however, with Mr. Bradbury's recent passing it may bring a smile and memory and possibly a glistening to the eyes as we continue to appreciate the influence this loving man had on a world of young and old readers alike!

Enjoy: (The link takes a brief moment or two to load!)
http://vimeo.com/41031289

posted Hide Post
Our Halloween Tree is now lit up awaiting kids in costumes in just a couple of days. However, it just doesn't seem quite as bright as in previous years...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-LOUE...eBradburyPUMPKIN.jpg

posted Hide Post
Does anybody dream about him?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
I can tell that Mr Bradbury has influenced you because the way that you told that story gave me a real picture of what happened that day!

Posts: 7 | Registered: 27 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Removed items from our front lawn Halloween Tree yesterday.

It stood strong against a cascade of trick-or-treaters running and squealing by, the high winds of autumn rushing down our quiet avenue, and a tumultuous presidential election.

Nice job Mr. B! Your stories stand up against the passing of time, nature, and politics.

Just started reading Leviathan '99 from Now and Forever. What a metaphorically delightful narrative. Yet, the insights of Mr. Bradbury also amaze with each page turned: "For does space not have the look of a vast cathedral?" Poetic.

posted Hide Post
As I have gotten older nostalgia has taken a toll and I've taken advantage of Ebay to order the monster movies I would stay up late for as a kid. I was surprised to learn "The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms" was based on the short story "The Foghorn" by Ray and further that Ray Harryhausen (who made the film as well as creating special effects for it- even inventing many of them) and Ray Bradbury were close friends. There is a special feature with them discussing the old days in LA. Without "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms" there would have been no "Godzilla" or likely "Jurassic Park" but there would have first been no Beast without "The Foghorn".

"You've got to jump off of cliffs all the time and build your wings on the way down."

Posts: 2 | Location: Toccopola, Ms. | Registered: 09 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am currently reading E. A Guest's A Heap o' Livin' (1916). I seem to recall a Bradbury board reference related to his works(!?). Anyone recall?

His great verse is from a time and a world of values, sadly, becoming soon lost! (Exiled, in a way!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Guest

posted Hide Post
On Christmas Eve was watching a BBC News broadcast from Bethlehem when unmistakably a fire balloon flew past behind the newscaster! Thrill enough for me!

posted Hide Post
I just got off the phone with Fiorello Bodoni. He indicated he was indeed interested: http://news.yahoo.com/video/wa...lling-225104700.html

posted Hide Post
"There is more than one way to burn a book."

http://news.yahoo.com/library-...--abc-news-tech.html

posted Hide Post
I am currently on a summer break from my teaching and am privileged to have the time to deeply relax and adjust to new surroundings. I am finding memories from my first reading of Dandelion Wine running alongside my days as I come to terms with the kitchen in my new rental place. The pleasant confirmation of solid drawers and spoons in jars, knowing the location of every sauce.

Earlier in my life those feelings of night in the ravine mirrored my realisation of a friends death. I felt the night come through the train window home and it was a greeting and farewell all at once.

I am feeling the joy of learning in my son and sharing simple outside things, like sundials, building a cubby, carefully drying some books that got damaged in transit. That itself is not noteworthy but handling books back to health, time to do so and read along the way is gold.

My son loves stories and feels the intensity so endearingly from the forest adventures of E. blyton to the absolute division of good and evil in Star Wars.

I myself was petrified when reading the Halloween Tree as a child and I remember lying in bed picturing it under the bed, it's black and purple cover resting, words facing me.

My son will be introduced to Rays stories when he is ready and he will love them, and hopefully more their respect of time, foresight and joy.

I can't wait.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 15 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post