Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    My own "strawberry window" at last...

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My own "strawberry window" at last...
 Login/Join

posted
Hello all, thought I'd drop in again at long last (though for some reason I was totally unable to access my previous account, and have had to start over again at post number one).

Anyway, here is my own little Bradbury-inspired project, from this past spring. I needed to put some new windows in a door, and so decided to use small multi-coloured panes around a larger clear area---much like the ones that prominently figure in a few Bradbury stories, such as "The Man Upstairs." Well, okay, perhaps these windows aren't much like the ones in the Bradbury stories, in that the windows he describes were not leaded, but rather had thin wooden strips holding all the coloured squares in place. Still, I'm so pleased to have my own strawberry window after all these years---and since they are in a door, I can easily check for vampires before letting anyone inside!

(I should add, that these photographed very poorly---they really do look better in person. Perhaps the project is not a complete success, because some of the glass colours are too bold and vivid---I only used glass I had at hand, and didn't go out to look for softer colours. But what the heck, I'm still rather fond of these!)

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome back, theoctobercountry. (Was that also your ID previously?)

Nice glasswork - must have taken a while to do.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really pretty windows!

Posts: 126 | Location: Texas | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Welcome back, theoctobercountry. (Was that also your ID previously?)

Nice glasswork - must have taken a while to do.

Thanks for your kind comments (same to randomyork, as well!). I just wish I had better photographs---you can't get a sense of the true colours here at all.... Actually, these went together fairly quickly, since there are so many straight cuts---much simpler than the usual sort of window I work on.

(My previous ID was just "octobercountry"---I believe I sent you some book scans a while back, for your site!)

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You did indeed - welcome back, Fred!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Radiant.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
theoctobercountry--your windows are brilliant and, to me, not too bright in hue. I really love what you did with them.

philnic--eyeballed your site. very nice. pics of everyone but you?

Priory

Posts: 27 | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Priory, "pics of everyone" - which site were you looking at?

(If it's the one I'm thinking of, there IS a pic of me.)

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Radiant.

Dandelion,

I would like to send Mr. Bradbury a book to autograph. Do you have an address?

tmf28@optonline.net

Posts: 4 | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The windows are absolutely beautiful! And if they do the trick (i.e., keep the man upstairs away), they are worth their weight in gold.

~I put the sweater on and watched the waves come up and fall down on the beach...Even a drunken man could not collapse with the elegance of those waves. ("The Lake," RB)

Posts: 4 | Location: NJ & WV | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
""TO ALL
A MERRY
CHRISTMAS""

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Posts: 126 | Location: Texas | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post