Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Gotta thank the man

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gotta thank the man
 Login/Join

posted
Does Mr. Ray actually check out the site. I'd really like to know he read this. Not that he probably hasn't read hundreds of posts about how he has influenced other fledgling writers. But I can definitely credit the man with the inspiration I used to push my writing career. I started as a starry eyed poet in high school. And after some college I moved on to newspaper work. I have to admit though going from my free flowing creative works when I was young to my news writing was quite a change. ANd it did kind of put a kink in my story work. Hard news became my bread and butter. But it didn't last (or put enough food on the table) and I've been working on getting those "creative juices" flowing again. It's a slow start. I've been working on gathering a whole collection of vintage Mark twain books and am almost there. But God bless the internet and Ebay. In high school I had a stack of Ray's books and papers from many of his short stories. He was my first recognized author when I saw Martian Chronicles on TV. And Then started reading Twain. But I lost my Bradbury collection during a move from NY to Houston. But imagine my delight when I found the box set of the Ray Bradbury Theater on Ebay. It had versions of most of the stories I lost. And I've gotten a modest collection of some of his books. And reread them. I can feel those old juices flowing again and have even pulled a few of my old story ideas out of my old leather satchel (that I keep all my original old work). I also have to credit him with inspiring me on my most useful skill. I remember seeing a few episodes of the "Theater" and seeing him at that old IBM typewriter. Well when High school came along I knew if I was going to follow this I was going to need to learn keyboarding. It's turned out to be my most used and best utilized skill. Especially considering my hand writing has been atrocious since I was 13. But If he does hop on here I've gotta say, "Thanks Mr. Ray for getting me started on this run and possibly getting me back going again."

Oh well time to go read some of these posts. Y'all will be seeing me around.

Bill "Elmer F.U.D." Gates says, "Be veh-we veh-we quiet. I'm hunting PENGUINS. Huhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh!"

Posts: 3 | Location: Humble, Tx | Registered: 24 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi CageHooper,

and welcome to the message board. Unfortunately "the man" himself doesn't visit the board, as he doesn't use a computer, and is known to be somewhat hostile to computers and the web. But to be fair, not many other 85-year-olds use the web either!

Occasionally Ray is shown selected messages from the board, however, and among the readers of this board are several Bradbury scholars, friends and associates who keep him informed of our interest and activities over here.

Looking forward to reading more of your posts

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that honestly suprises me. Considering some of his writing and ideas. Who would'a thunk it. I converse with an 80+ second aunt of mine for family research stuff quite often. (Actually have to see how she's weathering the weather up in NY). Ray is probably one of the last people I'd expect to be anti-computer. I consider the 'net a blessing. My family was able to mend quite a few fractures thanks to the info we've found. Oh well.

Bill "Elmer F.U.D." Gates says, "Be veh-we veh-we quiet. I'm hunting PENGUINS. Huhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh!"

Posts: 3 | Location: Humble, Tx | Registered: 24 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too am somewhat shocked by the resntment - or what have you - towards the net. I have met more people and it has connected me with more people than I could ever have imagined. It is the modern trolley whisking us away to other peoples and lands and sunsets. But then, the sun never truly sets on the internet.

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No doubt Ray's views are based on ignorance, but he has been quite clear about it. When interviewers ask him about using computers, he questions why anyone would need one - and it is clear from his response that he thinks of a computer as being a glorified typewriter (of which he has no need, as he has a perfectly good one of those).

He's not alone. Harlan Ellison is also PC-hostile, possibly more so than Ray is.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although I find PC’s enriching, I side with Thomas Jefferson in his preference for an agrarian society and have a natural aversion to technology. So I can identify with Ray in his distaste for computers. He has a way of life that works for him. He’s happy with it. Why change it? Why go through a learning curve? Why reinvent himself? Has anyone noticed how surprisingly fast “time marches on” when you spend it in front of a computer screen? Startling. I love the idea that it is similar to the trolley though. Excellent.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately Mr. Bradbury has a way of forming an ABSOLUTE viewpoint on a subject, taking a stand based on that viewpoint, and then not swerving on it despite any suggestions that there might be more than one side to it.

For instance, that "writers shouldn't go to college," when he spent college age in a hotbed of creativity with ideas bouncing every which way. College was my ONLY exposure, outside my own family and a very few select friends, to people who made literature a priority. Wonder if he'd been singing the same tune if instead of Southern California he'd been wasting away in some isolated hamlet watching the grass grow.

Also unfortunately, some time ago I promised to print and send good wishes posted to him here, which I believe were intended for his birthday. Before Christmas I will try to make a sweep of such threads and print them out to send him so he can see the wonderful things his fans from around the world say about him here and how we can use this place to connect with each other!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...I think down deep every last one of us dreams that our words are often viewed by the master himself, saying this, it makes us try a little harder, think a little more profound and connect on a universal level but as far as computers - that is his wall. I look at it like this - I have played the piano by hear since I was a kid and now in my thirties have had every opportunity to take lessons.I haven't. I'm not bad at piano, playing my own songs but to me, perhaps like Mr. Bradbury, if I enter that world of being taught, having direction from someone else - it is not me, not my juices from within - I take my own direction and love not knowing where I might end up. Lessons are my wall, computers are Rays wall that destroy this original thought process. Maybe learning something new will fill you with new ideas or maybe not but this is his thing.....and for piano this is mine....for writing I am in the middle - love to read, love to write but I disect stories and stop and start reading when I am writing - if I am in a groove. Ultimately think of Ray not wanting to know what is going on in the net, the world or whatever in an attempt to not copy it. It is a tough gig but I think we all can see he has done quite well - and thank you for it Mr. Bradbury!!! Greetings from Canada.

Posts: 12 | Location: canada | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, there's a thought.

Irving Berlin obviously had no musical training as he broke so many of the rules. When someone asked what formal training would have done for his songwriting ability, he answered, "Ruin it."

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

For instance, that "writers shouldn't go to college," when he spent college age in a hotbed of creativity with ideas bouncing every which way. College was my ONLY exposure, outside my own family and a very few select friends, to people who made literature a priority. Wonder if he'd been singing the same tune if instead of Southern California he'd been wasting away in some isolated hamlet watching the grass grow.

dandelion,
I sympathize. Very few people that I have met in life make literature a priority.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post