Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Ray's Plays

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray's Plays
 Login/Join

posted
I've seen a few references to Ray's plays being produced in L.A. Can anyone tell me what attendance is like? Is his appearance advertised beforehand, or is it is a little surprise for the audience?
Thanks!

Posts: 4 | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charlie Mount could give more detail. On the night we went the play was very well attended. Charlie, the Banshee and the others did an excellent job. I thoroughly enjoyed the productions and acting. I don't know if Ray's attendence is preannounced or not, but it was great that he was there the night we went. I know he goes to several of them.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FTJoshua
One of Ray's most successful plays, in the terms of audience, was "The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit", which played at the Pasadena Playhouse, in California, to packed audiences. At the time, it was rewritten as a musical.
But it is important to note that Ray's plays are being performed somewhere, all the time, on college campuses or small theater settings. "Fahrenheit 451" is a favorite.
Personally, I'd like to see the ressurection of his play, "Leviathan '99"....about a Moby Dick style adventure set in far space. In this case, the Captain is blinded by the comet, Leviathan, and gathers a crew aboard a spaceship to go to destroy the comet that nearly destroyed him. It was orginally performed on a sound stage in Los Angeles, with less than a hundred seats. (William Marshall, the black Shakespearean actor who played the Captain in the original stage performances, t passed away just in the last couple weeks).

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then he died around the same time as Gregory Peck, who played Captain Ahab in Ray's film version of "Moby-Dick."

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion:
You're right! Actually, I never thought about that. Hmm!

(click on, or type into finder): http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/17/deaths.marshall.ap/
also...
(click on, or type into finder): http://sg.news.yahoo.com/030613/1/3brz9.html

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 06-27-2003).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the input! Next question, then, is this: The shows that Ray Bradbury personally attended; how much of a draw do you think that was to the audience? It's one thing to see his plays produced, another to be able to meet him or at least hear him speak.

Also, does anyone know how many seats the L.A. shows were?
Thanks for the help!

Posts: 4 | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard someone say attendance is always good when it's known that Ray has written the adaptation himself, but don't remember whether anyone said it's always good when he plans to be there himself, or if so who said it. The place looked pretty small to me--maybe around 100 seats.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was there, I spoke to someone with the theater who told me it had 168 seats, but it did look small to me, also. Dandelion may be right.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just returned home after having attended The October Country with my 15 year old daughter. I purchased a copy of the illustrated biography of Mr. Bradbury signed by him. I was told that Mr. Bradbury shows up every Saturday night, tomorrow being the last performance of the play. My daughter and I switched seats three times until I was satisfied. After a few minutes who should show up but Mr. Bradbury himself. He used a walker but got into his seat without the aid of his friends or assistants. What a thrill to have him sit right in front of us! I got to hear his conversation and reminiscences with his friends. He signed autographs cordially and was absolutely as friendly as they come. He even gave a witty and insightful introduction to the plays! His presence gave the evening an extra zing! An unforgettable experience, for me and especially my daughter!

Posts: 4 | Location: sylmar,CA, USA | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark:
As I recall while ago, 99 seats was very good for a small theater on a budget, since they do not have to pay Union Scale to the actors at a theater with that number of seats... That was what I was told. But then, maybe that has changed. ( ? )

posted Hide Post
When I was younger, I had more confidence in my memory. I was talking to the girl in the booth when I picked up my tickets. She said she was one of the actresses that worked in that theater frequently, and my recollection is that she answered my inquiry with 168. But, as I say, the number may be something I have unintentionally fabricated between then and now.

posted Hide Post
No senility here to blame it on, Mr. Dark. You were actually pretty close in your seating estimate...
(click on, or type into finder) http://events.calendarlive.com/top/1,1419,L-LATimesThea...eDetail-5512,00.html

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 06-28-2003).]

posted Hide Post
Who handles the rights for Mr. Bradbury's plays?

"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be<br />normal."<br /> ~Albert Camus~

Posts: 3 | Location: Louisville, KY USA | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
His agents, Don Congdon Associates.