Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Made my dream of becoming a writer a reality.

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Made my dream of becoming a writer a reality.
 Login/Join

posted
As I stated in another post, in tenth grade I saw a short film by Ray Bradbury about the life of a writer. While I had already been leaning in that direction, I resolved from that day forward to pursue no other goal. I even mustered the courage to write to him, and to my surprise (knocked me on my butt, frankly) he wrote back! Thus began a ten year correspondence that culminated with my going to his L.A. home and giving him a series of paintings I had done. We were supposed to go to lunch, but the roof literally fell in at his Las Vegan retreat. His exact words were, "These damn things happen."

Was I disappointed? Sure, but he'd already given me so much. During our correspondence he gave me several pieces of excellent advice. First, "Novels never seem to finish themselves." Amen to that, as my first attempt had nearly killed me, but to this day has not been finished. Then, "Write a story a week for two years," and finally, "Maybe put them together later into some kind of unified narrative like The Illustrated Man.

Done and done, Ray. The result is Within a Crimson Circle, which you (or anyone) can read free online at www.aragornbooks.com.

So thanks again my friend.

Peace,

Christopher Leadem, Author/Publisher
Aragorn Books

Christopher Leadem<br />www.Aragornbooks.com

Posts: 3 | Location: Centennial, Colorado, USA | Registered: 20 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I sent Ray a copy of my first book after a six-year correspondence, he wrote, "I deeply appreciate having SEVEN FOR OREGON. Good for you. I love people who DO things. I know so many folks who talk about writing but never write anything. And here is SEVEN FOR OREGON to be praised." So far this is my only book publication. I'm still trying to find a story which inspires me to tell it as much as this one did, but in my continuing search I have never lost the inspiration and encouragement Ray gave me. Thanks again!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion. Congratulations on the book publication. I'm afraid I fall into the category of those who want to write a book (I have several in mind, in fact), but haven't done it. Life has always gotten in the way. I know that's a lousy excuse, but I'm sticking with it for now.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post