Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teaching
 Login/Join

posted
Mr. Bradbury, through his writings, inspired a young mind to explore science. Forty some years have gone by with 27 of those years and counting spent teaching middle school students science and technology. Thanks for the direction...
M Henkes

Posts: 1 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lately... maybe some of these people...like the one that posted the above... are smart ! They make an important comment, and go about elsewhere. Maybe we never hear from them again....But we remember them kindly....for whom they love....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bradbury, through his writings, in a similar way, inspired me to study literature, philosophy, religion, scripture, science fiction, fantasy, etc. He took a 9th grade non-reader and turned him on to the realization that ideas mattered.

All of my education, teaching, thinking, and writing (and much of my appreciation of life) go back to him and his ability to touch an "unenergized" mind with a slender science fiction novel called 'Farenheit 451.'

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 01-28-2003).]

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Inspired by RB? Always!!!

I was writing out a pass for a 10th grader who had asked to go to the library to get a book, when I inquired, "What do you like to read?" He answered Steven King and other stories like his.

As he was in my room for study time and not an English student assigned to one of my classes, I refrained from giving him the pass long enough to go to my files to pass along some copies I had of the following RB's: The Emissary, The Pedestrian, The Fog Horn, The Flying Machine, The Veldt, Golden Apples of the Sun, The Rocket Man, The Sound of Thunder, and a few others.

This teenager now was interested (truly) and informed me he had never heard of Mr. Bradbury before. Ah, a chance to seize the moment!

I went to my classroom bookshelf and pulled down the likes of F451, Illustrated Man, Martian Chronicles, Dandelion Wine, Something Wicked This Way Comes, The Stories of RB, and RB: An Illustrated Life (which he skimmed through for several minutes, eyes wide open!)
The beautiful covers told a story unto themselves.

He asked if the school library had these on hand, and I assured him they indeed did. (I am on "very good" terms with our librarians, and they keep his works well stocked. They are great sources of support and information at every turn.)

Off he went, a pile of short stories in hand and a headful of wonder.

The idea of burning books, the arrival of Dark's Carnival, the witch's illustrations, the dinosaur tales, the rockets landing on Mars, Green Town, and 100 short stories of similar kind all in one text - - all have caused me to reflect.

How fortunate I was to be able to pause for that moment and to ask this youth, "What do you like to read?"

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 02-11-2003).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjpalumbo--Way to go!! I hope he tells some of his friends, too. Doesn't it feel good when this happens? It makes up for some of the @@##$$%% parts of our job....

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From a different angle:

I too am an educator, but not a teacher of literature or creative writing. I teach sixth grade. My favorite Bradbury work is "Dandelion Wine," which helped me to appreciate the perspective of youth. Every day a Douglas Spaulding comes into my room and sits in a desk and expects magic. But I don't know which one he is.

I really do take time each day to reflect on what I was thinking when I was that age. I have to make myself remember that those were days when a new pair of sneakers gave you wings, and a sharp Ticonderoga pencil was the key to recording big things.

Posts: 16 | Location: lemoore, CA USA | Registered: 01 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You teachers are following in the footsteps of Mr. Jonas, the junkman from Dandelion Wine; along with Doug, you're passing it on............

Posts: 19 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Mr. Jonas to Douglas' rescue" would definitely be a selection in my "Top 10 Favorite RB Scenes!!"

The word choice is simple yet poignant, and the feelings evoked are as good as it can get! The build up to the scene "sets it," but Mr. Jonas' kind acts toward the sick young boy are fine wine!

A view into the spirit of Mr. Bradbury, huh!

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 02-13-2003).]

posted Hide Post
Considering my 2-11-03 post above, I realized I too was about 14 when the fantastic cover of Golden Apples of the Suns caught my attention. Then I read the stories....!

The student I mentioned above returned today. Did he read the stories I offered him by Mr. Bradbury?

How about this!? He read the copies of the s.s. I gave him and later went to the library and signed out F451 and Something Wicked. Both have been read and returned to the library. Book in hand - Martian Chronicles - already half way through!

He was commenting on characters and scenes in detail. We discussed the names of Montag, Faber, and Clarisse and their ironic use in the story. He really liked the idea of the mechanical dog, of course. Ben Franklin, the first fireman, also seemed to him an appropriate thing to work into the plot (vs. Beatty's role as fire captain).

He thought SWTWC a very dark story, "surprisingly" was his word. As for the Martians, he was having a bit of difficulty staying with the style and many transitions. I said, "Not to worry. Read on!"

He took my copy of Stories of RB from the shelf and read for about 45 minutes before returning it at dismissal.

Since I would not see him until next week, I let him borrow my Illustrated Man copy. Will I get it back?? Not a concern -- I have a "few more" for him to read when he trades in the finished title.

I sure hope he is getting his math, science, and history homework done.

Pass it on. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
Way to go fjpalumbo!!!

I am living vicariously through your success and will tune in for triumphant stories of that kind of any day.

Posts: 85 | Location: San Dimas, CA USA | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I take very little, if any, of the credit for what happens with the fires being initially sparked in students with Mr. Bradbury's works. Not "all" get it. Yet, typically far more than is evident in any other author (selections 9-12). I bring my enjoyment and love of his writing, but I do the same with Shakespeare, Steinbeck, Orwell, London, Harper Lee, and the rest of the list. (Though I must admit, to his works the most, not because I try to soft sell the rest. I guess it has become personalized and alive more so with RB.)

This is something so many of the contributors on this site share. The only other author who has a similar power is Tolkien. But think of all of the p.r. (hype) he gets!

RB has a built in ember that is easily fanned. Once done, off they go, looking for more!

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 02-14-2003).]