Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    My Inspirations, and Work...
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Inspirations, and Work...
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Oscar, congratulations! After having known two of the best known authors of this present time-Richard Bach and Ray Bradbury-I feel somewhat inadequate in that I have always enjoyed writing but never really have done anything with it.

Richard always told me "to write two thousand words a day. To get the driftwood out." He also advised me to takes notes of a thought or idea for a story. He was always scribbling on a napkin, or match book cover and any scrap of paper he had handy. While I am currently reading Conversations With Ray Bradbury, I can see where Ray did have a lot of influence on Richard. Richard was in a writer's group with Ray in L.A.

I had the neat opportunity, while he was writing Nothing By Chance, to have him hand me a sheet of paper right out of his typewriter and to edit it, crossing out any superfluous words that I came across.

While I was in Viet Nam I wrote many letters back home and was able to gather them up from my parents and first fiance. I always wanted to write a book about my experiences in Viet Nam, but from a humorous approach, in contrast to the serious, and sometimes very sad, books that have been written. I did write a chapter entitled "Have You Ever Taken a Bucket To The Bathroom?" Well, have you?

But, you know, the thing is, at 61, almost 62, it is NOT too late to do something about it, writing that is, and also getting my pilot's license (yes, I did get to ride with Richard in his 1929 Detroit-Parks biplane).

Although in my advertising job, I do get to write and be creative, but it is not the same as what Dandelion has accomplished, Robert Blevins, and now you Oscar.

But, you know, it's not too late!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 1968 a young man stood along the coast of the South China Sea, near Da Nang, south of Monkey Mountain and North of Marble Mountain. He heard the roar of engines overhead. He thought it was a UH1E, but…perhaps it was a biplane he heard that day. He closes his eyes and smells the salt air once more and salutes you!

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Chapter 31. I was there in 1969 as an advisor to the Vietnamese. I was stationed in Soc Trang, in the Mekong Delta south of Can Tho, along with a couple of small hamlets. All flat rice paddies with Fench built canals cutting through the fields, straight as an arrow for miles.

The war in the IV Corp was an entirely different from the one you fought in the northern environs. I had it pretty easy, out the most three days on a search and destroy, but always coming back for a cold shower and poker at the Officers Club.

I never saw a biplane over there, but that is not to say there wasn't one someplace in that country.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s good to be home.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both of my boys are in scouts. During summer crossover campout and at a few other campouts held during the year, we have been fortunate enough to witness flag retirement ceremonies. These are very somber serious events that are at the same time very moving. There is one particular scout master, a veteran himself, who knows much about the flag, its history, and the history of our country. It is the only time our flag is legally burned and properly retired. My point of this, is that through learning just what our flag means for freedom and those who fought and died so valiantly to preserve it, when I look to our flag, not just during a retirement, but anytime, now I see those men and women and it moves me deeply because of their sacrifice so that I can now be free. All veterans of all the wars who fought for freedom, THANK YOU!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chap, biplane, re the above, it's truly an honor to be in the presence of heroes. It's good to have you both back.

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Second that here Raven. How's the wife doing?

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All jokes about wrapping her extremities in bubble wrap and styrofoam aside, her broken bones are mending nicely. She's a 911/EMD dispatcher and returns to work this Tuesday. Thanks for asking.

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thats great news! We didn't make it to thunder this year. Watched it on t.v., saw a few blue angels go screaming over though after show.

posted Hide Post
Ravenswake, sometime I didn't read about your wife's accident. I am sure it was pretty traumatic for everyone. Glad to hear that she is on the mend.

Robot Lincoln: In two weeks the Air and Seahow will be here at Ft. Lauderdale Beach. This year it is the Air Force Thunderbirds performing. Always awesome whether it is them or the Thunderbirds. I just bought my sun screen and will be buying my new folding, heavy-duty, chair at Sam's Club this coming Friday (payday.)

By the way I spoke with Ray a little while ago.
F451 has been selected for the Big Read program and the Ft. Lauderdale and Miami areas have been selected among ten communities to have this program.

This coming Thursday they are having a professional reading of F451 at the Main Library in Ft. Lauderdale. I have a call in to make my reservation.

Ray sounded very good and in good spirits.

posted Hide Post
Hello all,
My author's copies of my novel should be in my hands by the end of the month. Does anyone know how I can send a copy to Ray? I certainly don't expect him to read it, but I would like to give him one as just a token of my appreciation for all of the inspiration he's given me. It can be preordered currently with a discount at silverthought.com, click on bookstore. Will be on amazon and bn.com soon.
Thanks.

Posts: 17 | Location: Royal Oak, MI | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oscar: That is a very good idea, and I am with you on this one. I also write sci-fi, and at my website Adventure Books of Seattle, I posted up an interview I did once, and I was very plain in my thanks to Ray. He has inspired me since I was a snot-nosed kid at this Catholic school down in Oregon trying to pass off sci-fi on the nuns as essays. (lol) The nuns used to drag me in front of the priest for lectures...
I have a couple of books out there, but I am just about finished with the one Ray inspired me on the most, 'The 13th Day of Christmas.' It's a Mars mission novel, based in reality. I think Ray would like this one and I also would like to send him a copy.
It's difficult to explain how Ray has inspired my work over the years. There is a dedication to him in the front matter, and I will never be the writer he is, but I wouldn't have gotten this far without him... Cool

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oscar, maybe I can help you on the matter of getting a copy to Ray. Give me a call on my cell phone: (954) 579-0003 whenever you read this post.

posted Hide Post
A nice cover letter to his publisher inserted into a manila envelope with the book, along with a cover letter to Ray may work, as well... Smiler
But, I would contact Biplane 1 first, just in case.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did contact biplane1, he was very kind and helpful. Are you the same Robert Blevins whose
work I've read at Bewildering Stories?

Posts: 17 | Location: Royal Oak, MI | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post