Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    My Inspirations, and Work...
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Inspirations, and Work...
 Login/Join

posted
Well, he didn't inspire me directly, though I DO love his work, and my favourite book of all time IS "The Illustrated Man," what inspired me were a few post-nuclear computer games, and some earlier stories of mine.

I'm an 18 year old Creative Writing major at a private college down in the LA area, and I was wondering if anybody knew if Mr. Bradbury might do me the pleasure of having a look at one or two of my stories, and give me some feedback/constructive criticisms on them.

I believe that I'm one the last of the dying breed of nuclear-war writers (not like, potential nuclear war thrillers, I mean REAL, in-your-face nuclear war stories about life AFTER), and I hoped that the master of science fiction might do me the honor of having a look at a short story or two, or perhaps the first 2 or 3 chapters of my novel.

My style, is what I like to call "Bradbury vs. Steinbeck." I like Mr. Bradbury's details, and poetic descriptions of worlds, but what I also like, are characters that talk like real people, and as such, speak in dialects, or poor english, like average folks. So what I've endeavored to do is take the details of Mr. Bradbury's best novels, and blend them with the gritty dialogue and worlds of Steinbeck's most hard-edged stories.

Fahrenheit 451 + The Grapes of Wrath, if you catch my drift.

If anyone could let me know how I could talk to Mr. Bradbury a bit more personally about this than just through his agent, so I can get a few tips from the master, I'd appreciate.

Otherwise, would anyone else like to read my stories?

I always welcome feedback, and maybe a few pointers.

Thanks!

Ciao,

Dave

You Are Now Entering The Wasteland... Please Keep All Hands And Arms Inside The Tank At All Times, And Do NOT Feed The Mutants.

Posts: 2 | Location: CA!!! | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity...

What college? I went to Otis College of Art in L.A. (really Westchester).

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For Ray's contact info, I've just bumped up a thread under "Resources" with a link to this information.

New writers wanting critiques of their work can join this forum http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/cgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=agree under the auspices of Orson Scott Card. You must be over 18 years old to register, though just 18 I am not sure about.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chapman University, down in the OC. And an Orson Scott Card forum, eh? Neat.... Thanks!

You Are Now Entering The Wasteland... Please Keep All Hands And Arms Inside The Tank At All Times, And Do NOT Feed The Mutants.

Posts: 2 | Location: CA!!! | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It most certainly has some influence on my life. It's so easy to waste a day on the internet, tv, computer games and all that. Fahrenheit 451 has taught me how vital it is to put effort into reading literature.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No doubt Ray was THE inspiration for me. I have another book coming out in July of this year, and Ray is the dedication. I won't repeat the story why...you can always search it out anyway.

When I first read The Martian Chronicles, I always wanted to write a book about a Mars mission, but I never got around to it. It was always in the back of my mind, hanging around like a kid brother on Saturday afternoon.
Well, in 2004 I read an article in Esquire Magazine that said: "There are no really good books about actually GOING to Mars."

That statement is out of context. What the article meant was that there were no really good hard-science books about a first manned mission to the Red Planet

So I started work on "The 13th Day of Christmas." It took me nearly two years to write, but I think the premise works and the story is exciting. This isn't a plug, not really. Sometimes you write a book for other reasons besides selling the book. You think, I HAVE to write this one, that's all... Cool

Ray gets a page in the front matter of the book. If it were not for him, well you know...

You can see the preview at Adventure Books, on the Bookstore and Previews page, if you want.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dibbets,
You are right. There are so many easy alternatives to reading. But the rewards for making the effort that you describe are great.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're right Chapter 31,

The thing that worries me though, is that everything gets so superficial. I'm a journalist myself, and it never ceases to amaze me how shallow a lot of my co-workers are. We work, we write the news, go to bed and that's about it. Isn't that weird?

I'm not sure why this should bothering me so much. I don't won't to sound cocky. And still... still...

posted Hide Post
We’re all human aren’t we? And we’re proving it all the time.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, some of us are almost human...

tickticktickticktickticktick

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello, I am new here and I'm thrilled that there is a Ray Bradbury forum. I am influence by Ray more than any other writer. My first book, The Perfect Revolution, will be out in May. It was inspired by so much of Ray's work, but not nearly as good! The book is about a military coup in the usa in 2013, led by pentagon robots. Published by Silverthought Press. I have had several short stories published, and I am most compared to Mr. Bradbury, high praise indeed.

Posts: 17 | Location: Royal Oak, MI | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Bradbury mélange! You're among friends here. Best of luck on your book(s). I'll look for it in May. Always interested in books about robots, you know.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, awesome! You think I can buy it in Europe?

posted Hide Post
Welcome and congratulations, Oscar! To another successful published writer inspired by the great and magnificent light that is Ray Bradbury!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the welcome. The book will be available on Amazon and all its sites (i.e. Amazon France, UK etc). My short stories have appeared in several places, mainly silverthought.com and some are in print.

Posts: 17 | Location: Royal Oak, MI | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post