Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Ol' Shakespeare Did Write Other Famous Lines, too, Didn't He?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ol' Shakespeare Did Write Other Famous Lines, too, Didn't He?
 Login/Join

posted
Hmm!

Here comes the new "Harry Potter" Movie next year, and the trailer takes THAT line from Shakespeare, but made so well-known by Ray Bradbury.

"....Something Wicked This Way Comes."

But here....good grief... the choir in the movie even 'sings' it...

Check it out yourself:

Go this the following Website noted below, but skip the trailer that's listed on the bottom of THAT Website.... and go to 'Official' Website of Harry Potter. (For some reason, the 'Official Website' didn't always work by going 'directly' to it. Maybe you'll have better luck). But this other way works well. Anyway, once you are there, check out the trailer....)
http://www.azkaban.com

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, that was odd. Also with Gary Oldman as the prisoner! I thought the first two films were pretty good. I've enjoyed them more than the Lord of the Rings.

Posts: 135 | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, me too. I was disappointed with LOtR. So long winded and overrated. But the Harry Potter movies (esp. the 1st one) couldn't have been done much better. I will admit that the CG animated people on broomsticks looked a little cheezy in the 1st movie, but everything else was perfect.

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotta speak up briefly. I personally LOVE the Peter Jackson version of the LOTR. I thought he captured the spirit of both the book and the major characters. I'm very anxious for the final one. We've already got out midnight tickets. My daughter and I love them. We ALSO love the Harry Potter movies and books. Great stuff!!!

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay!
But my real question here was.....

Is JK Rowlings in any way whatsoever, paying any sort of respect to Ray Bradbury by this "Something Wicked This Way Comes" reference...(as seen in the movie trailer in above posting). Or is it her plain 'english roots' and 'Shakesperean love'?

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't read any of the books, Nard, so I'm not so sure it is Rowling's or the director's choice. The director is new, I might add. I am too slow of a reader to catch up to some of the newer works of fiction.

Mr Dark, I have only read the first book of the series and I think Jackson has done a good job of putting the story on screen. I just didn't like the story in the first place. Once they left the Shire I got bored pretty quick. Those first chapters are great, I have to say. I think the movie captured it perfectly too, the fireworks and all.

Posts: 135 | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, I read just fast enough to keep ahead of the movies. The movie of Harry Potter Book 3 is coming out, and that's the book in that series which I've just read. I noticed no Bradbury or Shakespeare references anywhere in it.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read the LOTR Hobbit and trilogy when I was a junior in HS. I liked them so much, I took a week off from school my senior year and read the four books as a full-time job over the week. It was really fun to be totally immersed in the story and characters. Sorry you didn't like the books much. If you read them a long time ago, you might want to do it again. Then again, they just may not be to your liking. Hey, you like Bradbury, so "you can't be all bad!"

:-)

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion:

To answer your question ...about the "Something Wicked This Way Comes" reference, click on THIS:
http://azkaban.warnerbros.com/

THEN when you get to that site, click ONLY on icon for "Official Harry Potter Website". When you get there, look at the right side, and click on teaser trailer.

posted Hide Post
The Lord of the Rings is one of the greatest stories of all time, loaded with truth. Tolkein is one of my favorite authors, aside from Bradbury of course. It's one of those books that you could read and re-read throughout your lifetime and never grow tired. Interestingly, though Tolkein wrote frequently, he was not a writer by trade. He was predominantly a linguist (and an amazing one at that) with a knack for storytelling. (Several of his bedtime stories created for his kids became or inspired his published stories) The LotR and all of the surrounding histories of Middle Earth, his life work, was created so that he could have a believeable world and culture which used the languages he invented. I know this is straying from the topic, so I'll get back to the main point. I love the books, and I think Peter Jackson has done an amazing job of bringing those books to life. No one could have done better.
About the "Something Wicked This Way Comes" reference in the trailer for the third Harry Potter movie, this, I believe, was not J. K. Rowling's doing. The phrase is nowhere to be found in the books, as dandelion mentioned. I think it was just added for the trailer, and may not even be in the movie, but who knows. It probably was not intended to pay homage to Bradbury, though it certainly shows his influence and inspiration.

Posts: 130 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yestermorrow:

Well, it has to be in the movie, since the choir sings the phrase and probably what comes before it and what comes after it as well.... Now would THAT have been added by the director and screen writers, and NOT at all as originally penned by Rowlings?

posted Hide Post
They're editing certain British words and phrases in the books for an American audience, but I doubt they'd have edited out all that!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,

Um, not necessarily. Movie trailers are notorious for including scenes/music that don't turn up in the movie. However, I will agree, after seeing the trailer, it does seem likely they'll use it. Can't fail with good material. My opinion is that the movie people are paying homage to Shakespeare and not Bradbury. Just like Bradbury was doing.

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ALL:

But it seems strange and delightful to see those words across the screen anyway, doesn't it?

posted Hide Post
I agree. I don't know exactly how it ties in with the story, but I love the phrase, and especially the book.

Posts: 130 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post