Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Ol' Shakespeare Did Write Other Famous Lines, too, Didn't He?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ol' Shakespeare Did Write Other Famous Lines, too, Didn't He?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
There have to be one or more message boards with know-all fans, but with someone as popular as Rowling it would be all too easy to go "diagonally" and end up in Knockturn Alley with the mean, flamethrowing fans. To keep things safe, I will post the query on my nice book groups!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
who cares if someone uses that phrase either way? give me one good reason why it matters at all....

.................God o' <br />Thunder...........

Posts: 70 | Location: US | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, man, who cares about anything? Why bother discussing things that interest us at all? I mean really, what's the point?

Posts: 130 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thormachine:

Wow! That was a profound question. Using words like...Either way. Phrase! Why?

Wowzee!

I don't really think anyone here is qualified to handle this.

thormachine... you may have stumped the panel with this one. Go look in the mirror and pat yourself on the back. It doesn't happen that often.

( By the way, do you mind if I use your name, 'thormachine', on another web site. I like that name a lot... )

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No definitive expert answers so far, just opinions that Shakespeare and MacBeth are pretty darn well-known with or without Bradbury.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That would be exactly like "Much Ado About Nothing," but then again it may be completely unrelated. Right!?

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 06-09-2004).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a little late with this reply, but I'm also interested in that line. If you look back at early folio editions of Shakespeare's works, or even the variorum editions, you might notice that the line doesn't always appear. Many scholars believe that Shakespeare didn't pen that line at all, that perhaps it originated with Middleton.

Posts: 7 | Location: Chattanooga, TN USA | Registered: 20 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, "something wicked" came from an idea based on an old curse, not Middleton.

Don't ask me how I know that.

The very much adult Shakespeare lived on Muggle Street the last few years he lived in London, in the early 1600's.

I very much appreciated the Shakespearean look of the Azkaban movie, and the song was definitely an homage to Shakespeare, not Bradbury...

S

Posts: 1 | Location: Morrow GA USA | Registered: 23 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oh goody!! so we all agree that shakespeare was famous before ray bradbury!! neato!! now lets all sit around and think about other pressing issues......like whether to use the red yarn or the blue yarn to knit the next sweater or how many lumps of sugar should we have in our tea!!!!!

cmon people....look at the goddamn world around you and stop arguing about the most inane bullshit in the world...there are PLENTY of things to talk about that are actually effecting the lives of millions of people.....

.................God o' <br />Thunder...........

Posts: 70 | Location: US | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another winning post, thormachine. Crude, arrogant, petulant . . .

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thormachine,

As a guest of this site, you're welcome to join in the supposedly inane topics we talk about. But if its beneath you, why not go someplace else? I would.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post