Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Forewords for Paper Tiger Art Book

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forewords for Paper Tiger Art Book
 Login/Join

posted
Dear Mr. Bradbury,

I don't know how to contact you and so I'm trying this way.
Paper Tiger, the english publisher of science fiction and fantasy art books, will dedicate a volume to my work as illustrator. The publishing date is March 2005.
I've been writing about you in the text of the book, as "The Martian Chronicles" was the very first science-fiction novel I read when I was a child and it inspired much of my later art production, which is now sold all over the world.
I'm here to ask you the honor of having from you the forewords of my book, because I started loving the sci-fi genre right after reading your book, which deeply struck my young imagination.
You can see a selection of my illustrations on my website:

www.maxbertolini.com.

Maybe you'll like them and will think about a few words about my art. It would be really great.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you,

All the best,
Max Bertolini

Posts: 6 | Location: Milan, Italy | Registered: 16 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Max: Mr. Bradbury doesn't read the board. You should contact Mr. Bradbury in one of three ways:

(1) Write him through his publisher, William Morrow Company,

(2) Through his agent, Don Congdon Associates (I think that's what they're called)

(3) Finding his address on one of a variety of internet searches and writing him directly.

I hope you are able to contact him.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A NOTE TO ALL, CONTACT RAY BRADBURY, THRU DON CONGDON OR WILLIAM MORROW, OR ANY OTHER OF HIS PUB. NOT THRU, THE MAN HIMSELF.

THANKS
PATRICK

Posts: 89 | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really amazing illustrations!!

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no sign of Mr. Bradbury address on the web.

William Morrow is an imprint of Harper & Collins and I already trued to write them but had no answer.

The Congdon web site has no e-mail to write to and I fear that my spoken english isn't good enough to stand a call by telephone to that agency.

I find it hard to believe that nobody , in a site dedicated to the author, has an idea on how to reach him.
I would be grateful to anybody who could pass this message to him, or told me his home address to write him personally.

Thanks for the nice compliments on my work,
Max Bertolini

Posts: 6 | Location: Milan, Italy | Registered: 16 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The e-mail address for Don Congdon Associates is noted below:

Don Congdon Associates, Inc.
156 Fifth Avenue, Suite 625, New York, NY 10010-7002
Telephone: (212) 645-1229, Fax: (212) 727-2688,
E-mail: doncongdon@aol.com

[This message has been edited by Richard (edited 02-16-2004).]

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're right, several "out here" know his contact information; but, out of respect for Mr. Bradbury's privacy and schedule, we don't publicly distribute it. There are ways to get hold of him (as F451/Patrick says) via the publisher or agent. It may be slow, but it respects his privacy and schedule.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well said, Mr. Dark.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
You're right, several "out here" know his contact information; but, out of respect for Mr. Bradbury's privacy and schedule, we don't publicly distribute it. There are ways to get hold of him (as F451/Patrick says) via the publisher or agent. It may be slow, but it respects his privacy and schedule.

Posts: 85 | Location: San Dimas, CA USA | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:

I'll try through his agent.
Anyway I'm not asking , of course, to write his home address in bold letters right on this forum.
If you're really in touch with him, and think that my motivations are good enough and my work deserves his forewords (did you take a look?), why couldn't you point out my request to him?
Maybe he would agree. Are you sure you're not taking away to him a good chance to see how his work inspired even art?

Max

posted Hide Post
I have some of the contact information, and have met with him. I'm currently working on a Bradbury-related project (NOT with his endorsement or opposition -- but on my own) that I have discussed with him a couple of times: but I do not know him or you well enough to provide private contact information about him.

Personally, I try NOT to disturb him at all -- although I'd love to speak and correspond more with him. I make decisions NOT to contact him on a regular basis. Again, it's a matter of respecting his privacy and his very, very busy schedule. Richard has provided his agency's information. While I have not received a letter from him (although he did tell me on the phone he'd written), many at this site have written him through his publisher and have gotten replies.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 02-17-2004).]

posted Hide Post
I've sent an e-mail to Congdon Agency this morning.
I'll wait for a few days, then I'll try to write again to the publisher (William Morrow or someone else?).

Max

posted Hide Post
I really do wish you luck and success. Contrary to how it may look, I am not trying to be a contrarian.

posted Hide Post
I perfectly understand your reasons now that you 've explained better your position.

Thanks for your advices.
Max

posted Hide Post
By the way, Max, I went to your web site and let me say (and I use these words sparingly) your work is gorgeous and stunning. I hope it works out that you can do some work for Mr. Bradbury. If I knew him better (and didn't live half a continent away), I'd be happy to show him your work.

This is a body of work you can be proud of. (The web site is beautifully done, also!)

Excellent stuff!

As an old Silver Surfer fan (I used to own the entire set), your illustration of him was amazing! (Also loved the darker version of Batman.)

posted Hide Post
Compliments are always welcomed but yours are embarassing me...Thanks a lot!

I hope that if Mr. Bradbury will see my work will react the same way...

all the best,
Max