Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    The film 'Sunshine'

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The film 'Sunshine'
 Login/Join

posted
I just saw the film 'Sunshine' - quite extraordinary (at least in a visual/technical sense, not so much in terms of plot & character ...).
There were VERY strong echoes of some RB stories: 'The Gift', 'Kaleidoscope' and of course 'Golden apples of the Sun'. Has anyone else seen the film? Any thoughts?

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was a very popular, powerful film made into a TV series which I also watched. It is "Science Fiction" in Ray's sense of the term. Leaving your wisdom to your children has been available as long as writing knowledge and materials, but never until the 20th century as far as leaving your actual VOICE. Entrusting her wisdom to a machine was a very "Electric Grandmother" touch.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you're referring to something different, dandelion.
I mean the recent film directed by Danny Boyle (of '28 Days Later' fame).
Wait ... according to imdb.com it hasn't been released in the US yet (not until Sep.) - very unusual for a film to be released in Australia before the US.
Check back with this thread when you've been able to catch the film.

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh...okay. The other flick's good, too, but it's old...1973 for the movie and 1975 for the series.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oz-crumley:
...very unusual for a film to be released in Australia before the US...

Except, perhaps, when the film/director is British... as Danny Boyle is.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, there's been a lot of films released in Australia first, ever since 'The Road Warrior.' The film industry in Australia is pretty stable now.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
....Eternal Sunshine of a spotless mind...?

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^ Not the Jim Carey movie. If I remember correctly, Sunshine is something about a space mission sent to jump-start the Sun's fusion reaction with nukes. I remember it being described in the Guardian Science Weekly netcast a couple of weeks ago and how the the premise of the film has something to do with super-symmetry, a concept borrowed from quantum physics which I am in no way qualified to describe.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 28 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by mark:
"Not the Jim Carey movie.... Sunshine is something about a space mission sent to jump-start the Sun's fusion reaction with nukes."

That's the one - if anyone gets a chance to see it, I'd be interested to know your thoughts (especially the shades of 'Kaleidoscope' & 'Golden Apples ...')

posted Hide Post
I like eternal sunshine though...

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, so do I - an extraordinarily moving and original film, and stunning performances from Carrey and Kate Winslet.